New exhaust system

turbofabricator

Here's a few pics of my new exhaust system. I started out with the Magnaflow, because I wanted to use it in the stock location. But when I recieved it from Jeg's I looked inside of it and it has a "X" in the middle of it. I use to use a Walker Ultra-Flow in the slock location, But they now are now "X"d in the middle :mad: So I bought the Magnaflow hoping it wouldn't be, but it is! :mad: So instead of sending it back I decided to try and use it, and, well.........because I think outside the box, :biggrin: I tried something different. It really sounds great and I am pleased with how quiet it is :cool: It's 3" stainless into two 2 1/2" into and out of the muffler in aluminized mandrel bent steel to 321 stainless tips. I wasn't going to use stainless on this proto-type section due to cost. So whaddaya'll think?

oops here's the pics:

Attachments

• new exhaust system 001.jpg
    new exhaust system 001.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 651
  • new exhaust system 007.jpg
    new exhaust system 007.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 626
  • new exhaust system 005.jpg
    new exhaust system 005.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 634
  • new exhaust system 010.jpg
    new exhaust system 010.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 620
Looks good. Nice to see something different for a change.
Do you forsee any issues of it banging into the driveshaft?

Way in the back of my mind I've been thinking of something similar but only a single 3" inlet wth the two of 2.5" outlets plus the double pipes out behind the tire. There is an older thread about a 3 muffler setup that uses 2 regulars and one crossover in the stock location. It uses the same Magnaflow crossflow you have used. Supposed to silent but flow like a champ. How quiet is this single crossover? Can you post a sound clip?

I was involved in the 3 muffler deal. It is actually two ultra-flows under the rear seat (normal dual location) and one Ultra-Flow cross flow in the stock location (behind the rear end). That system is church-mouse quiet, and he runs solidly in the tens through them. The builder/designer was Sean O'Brien at Exhaust Specialties in Everett Wa. The car owner also has the same system on his StageII car but in three inch, and that car ran 9.18 @148
The Utra-Flows now come with an "X" in the middle and won't work anymore, that's why I bought the Magnaflow muffler as the literature didn't state it has a "X" in the middle of it. But It DOES! :mad: So, I tried it anyway (not as a cross flow, though) It seems very quiet, but haven't driven it yet to see how it compares to the Ultra-Flow muff in the stock location. The Wilwood front brakes are hackin' me off in that they sent short wheel studs, and wouldn't pass NHRA tech. So, I have to get some tomarrow from a speed shop (1/2"-20 X 3") if not I'll have to order them, meanwhile the car has NO front wheels on it. (kinda makes it hard to drive AFTER the launch ;) )

I'm not quite sure how you mean it has an X in the muffler. I thought the crossflows were basicly 2 inlets on opposet sides and then 2 outlets on the bottom. The inards were open to eachother so the exhaust mixed. I remember this style from my old 79 T/A. So now they changed that configuration of them just mixing in to an X through the muffler? Why is that no good for this application? I would think having a side more directly flow out the other would help?

Ok, I'm getting hung up on the brands. Dynomax makes the muffler with the X in it. In there catalog they also make a dual in/outlet in the Ultra-flow Welded Universal muffler which is the one I guess turbofabricator wanted to use(?). Magnaflow is separate brand and they have no X version but they have a dual in/out version. Confusing!