New guy with some questions and plans.

theoutlaw

This my first post so hi. I have a 79 regal turbo that I've had in storage since 2005. The last time it was started was a little over 1 year ago and the brakes are siezed. During the winter the owner would plow the snow into the area my car was parked in and it would be buried. It has rust but I'll worry about that later. For now I want to get it running and get it mobile. To unstick the brakes my plan is to give it a gentle pull with my truck and move it to another more accesible spot. Then I plan on draining the oil pouring a couple quarts through to flush it a little and fill it up fresh oil and replace oil, air, and fuel filters. Syphon the tank and fill with fresh gas. I'm also going to flush the cooling system. The vacuum lines all need to be replaced and a boost gauge installed and the engine timed and carb adjusted. I was wondering about removing the smog pump and lines to make working on it easier. I have an 80 factory service manual and it says that both the intake manifold and cat pipe have check valves. So theoretically all I would have to do is remove the pump and lines right? I plan on replacing the cat later but just want it out of the now for the work I'm doing. Also its registered in Washington so no emissions testing or inspection. Any ideas and help is greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't worry about pulling the emissions stuff unless the pump is seized. As far as doing anything else, its just like any other car you would get that has been sitting-Full tune up, all fluid change, inspect/replace vac lines, etc

So I'm on the right track then. Thanks for the advise on the pump. I'll leave it on. I just hate working around the pipes and diverter valves. They always seem to be in the way. Plus the cat I plan on getting doesn't have an air pipe so wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the pump anyways or am I mistaken? I already read the smog pump thread and b4black site.

take it to the muffler shop when you get it all straightened out and have a piece of pipe put in place of the muffler then take it home and gut the cat and bolt it back up. Theres your cheapo performance exhaust:cool:

May as well. The rust already took the muffler off years ago. I was looking at the magnaflow universal cats. They go for around $70 on summit. Less on evilbay. I figured that with a full 2 1/2" exhaust and a decent muffler would give me a realy good exhaust.

Don't waste your money on a high flow cat. just gut it out. If you get any muffler go magnaflow or another straight through design.

Don't worry. I don't use anything but magnaflow for my exhaust if I can help it. I was also considering swapping the carb. I have 2 turbo Quadrajets, one with the mixture screw plugs still in place but I've been toying with the idea of a Holley. This is the one I'm looking at. Holley 0-6210 - Holley Model 4165 Carburetors
It is a spreadbore with chevy linkage. It has dual accelerator pumps and mechanical secondaries. It is designed as a quadrajet replacment . What do think?

If I had another one of these cars I would still with the factory carb. They are set up for these motors and if tuned correctly you can get some good power just from tuning the stock carb

Wanna sell one of the carbs? I have a posting issue that Jesse knows about. I would like to tear one apart to see if I can make a regular Q-Jet into the turbo carb. If I can then we don't need to go scrounging for one and that would be a good thing. Maybe a loan for a while?

Freddy tried it once and said it can be done but there is one piece you need from the turbo carb to make it work correctly when the boost comes up. There, I saved you some time;)

Don't worry. I don't use anything but magnaflow for my exhaust if I can help it. I was also considering swapping the carb. I have 2 turbo Quadrajets, one with the mixture screw plugs still in place but I've been toying with the idea of a Holley. This is the one I'm looking at. Holley 0-6210 - Holley Model 4165 Carburetors
It is a spreadbore with chevy linkage. It has dual accelerator pumps and mechanical secondaries. It is designed as a quadrajet replacment . What do think?

Its a great carb, but not what you need for a turbo application. It can be, but that might be out fo your hands.

Also, it wont bolt directly down. you will need to stack about a 1/4" of gaskets to get the scondary arm to clear correctly.

A.j.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I might still try it down the road since I already have one that needs a rebuild. Gotta love swap meets. It will be awhile though because the Holley is 3,000 miiles east of where the car is. I'm mainly interested in this to see if it can be used as an alternetive to the hard to come by stock carbs with some experimentation and tuning. Sorry Charlief1 but I'm not selling any parts. For now I'm going to throw a rebuild kit in the one with the mixture screw plugs so I can use it for a baseline to get it running right. The other carb is on it now and was rebuilt before it was put into storage but will probably need to be rebuilt again. It has the secondary lockout disabled.

If it's the part I think it is I have a few of them but I need to see it first. GM called it an altitude adjustment valve and It's kinda hard to get, but.....