You can type here any text you want

new here with a 3.8L FWD Buick

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KBcobra

Camaro 3.8L :)
Hi guys :biggrin: , i have a 3.8L FWD Buick park avenue given to me for free with 200 miles on a rebuilt or crate engine. i would like to know everything about this engine, what parts can be interchanged between a FWD and a RWD? my plans are have build 3.8L for a turbo to put in my '92 Camaro RS.

Details man, details.. What year is the engine/car? I'm still learning about the Turbo 3.8's myself, but more info is needed. What kind of boost do you plan on running? Performance numbers, etc?

i plan to convert the FWD to RWD, basically intake needs to reversed, i want to boost it with turbo unless an eaton will work, im looking for 300hp to 500hp, i plan to tune it with megasquirt. its an 86 :) sry

You will need an 86/7 RWD GN/T-type intake...If you look at your fwd intake, the thermostat housing where the top radiator hose would go would end up in back when you reverse it to face forward...

As far as putting it in a Camaro, you may need to do what GM did when they put it in the 89 TTA and use the Buick 3.0L fwd head and specific set of TTA headers for the turbo...There is probably a whole lot more involved in the swap, but this is a start for you...

As a side note, check if your 86 is a VIN 3 3.8L motor...It should have hydraulic roller lifters in it...

Check in the Turbo Trans Am Tech forum of this BB for more help...

This seems like a demanding project, regardless. I wish you the best of luck with it.. :redface:

i got vin B for engine??? engine looks like this.
DSC00942.jpg

vin number is 1G4CW69B7GXXXXXXX, should i get a number off the block and heads?

You can't "reverse" the FWD manifold and install it backwards. The cooling passages would not be correct. You'd have to custom fabricate your FWD intake like I done but instead mount the plenum the other way.

Oh ya, the 86-87 FWD engines share a lot from the RWD engine. The crank is the same INTERNALLY...the flywheel flange is the only difference. The connecting rods are the same. You can also use turbo Regal stock pistons too. Head gaskets will be a direct bolt on from a turbo Regal.

1985 FWD cars with the 3.8L engine use 8445 cylinder heads also. Youe heads are different then the RWD turbo Regal BUT are the same kind as the 89 Turbo Trans Am.

You can't "reverse" the FWD manifold and install it backwards. The cooling passages would not be correct. You'd have to custom fabricate your FWD intake like I done but instead mount the plenum the other way.
im not sayin reverse the manifold i mean replace the thing with a rwd manifold or rwd top end (head and intake)

You're not planning to keep the serpentine belt system from the FWD are you?

i dont plan on it, i would like to use my thirdgen a/c compresser, the bend too extreme the tb cant be use from its current position it will chock it

Do you have any fabracating skills and the required tools to accomplish your conversion? If you don't it's going to get expensive.

Good luck man!

Cool deal! Post pictures in the Hybrid section so we can follow your progress!

still no one has told me a direct answer, these are the same heads off a TTA? so can i use the GN/TTA intake, injectors, ects?
i will post updates here and at Thirdgen.org

Oh ya, the 86-87 FWD engines share a lot from the RWD engine. The crank is the same INTERNALLY...the flywheel flange is the only difference. The connecting rods are the same. You can also use turbo Regal stock pistons too. Head gaskets will be a direct bolt on from a turbo Regal.

1985 FWD cars with the 3.8L engine use 8445 cylinder heads also. Your heads are different than the RWD turbo Regal BUT are the same kind as the 89 Turbo Trans Am.

Told ya earlier up in the thread.

Yes you can use the TTA intake or a Turbo Regal intake, inj, and accessories will bolt to engine. Just the rear trans mounting, flywheel, starter, oil pan and engine mounts are different than the RWD engine. You will also have to drill and tap a turbo return on the front of the engine.

Back