You can type here any text you want

New MAF Gen 2?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Boostin TA

I was wondering everyones thoughts on the new MAF translator available. I am long overdue to get outta the stock maf sensor and upgrade to a translator and lt1 maf sensor. I was wondering if anyone has the new style translator and the pros and cons of it? Also how hard is it to tune? I have a alky system as well and figuring out fueling has always been a problem. I will have it dyno tuned and have a custom chip burned for it. Does anyone have a good base line program or set up they can share with me. Unfortunatly I have done a lot of mods to the car but it is way out of tune and I have no good base point to start from. I currently just have a commander chip in the car with I believe 20-21 degres of timing and only running about 15lbs of boost and seeing 0-4 deg of knock. Running a PE 63 turbo 60lb injectors, smc alky, polished ported stock heads and intake with larger valves, THDP with open dump, built trans with 3000 stall, 3.70 gear in the rear, When I did a baseline dyno pull at 14lbs of boost It pulled 362hp and 480 torque. But my wideband 02 readings were all over the place started rich..went a little lean then back to pig rich... it was about 10.2 fuel/air ratio and throws alot of black smoke. Fuel psi is set to 45.

The GenII translator when used in conjunction with the Extender Extreme G chip for it is awesome.

I spent 2 years tweaking and tuning the stock code burning my own eproms and nothing I did could ever come close to the tune I was able to accomplish in a couple of days with the maf translator gen II and extreme g chip.

My favorite features are the wideband AFR tracking and window switch function

I highly recommend it.

I have also had good luck with the Trans Pro. It's similar to Gen 2 but can run in speed density. (mafless) These new translators are neat tools but do come with a slight learning curve.

That stock MAF is prolly the cause of all your headaches now.

Any datalogs?

I have also had good luck with the Trans Pro. It's similar to Gen 2 but can run in speed density. (mafless) These new translators are neat tools but do come with a slight learning curve.

That stock MAF is prolly the cause of all your headaches now.

Any datalogs?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Rick I have heard something about these mafless types as well. How exactly do they work and adjust the a/f? And you know what you are probably right im sure my stock MAF is maxing out and the source of my issues. On the dyno pull it was about 11.2 a/f ratio up to about 3600rpm then it toggles between 11-12 till 4300 and dips down to 10 then at 4900 it was up to about 12.2. A good tuning PITA. Sorry no data logs. I am very happy with the commander chip that I have but I figured a true dyno tune would prove more effective than a mail order tune so to speak. My biggest gripe about the commander chip is that it requires 12.0 volts to have the car start. And for some reason the electrical systems on tta's suck and dont put out all that much so alot of times I will need to jump it. Anyone know of a good high output alternator that can be used?

alt

caspers sells an upgrade for your current alt tto make it a 200 saves acouple bucks:)

Just ordered a GEN II

I just ordered one myself, and was looking to post the same question, and for future use.

I just purchased an 87 T, with champion CNCs, 55 lb injectors, PT-54, Precision oversized - stock location I/C, TH style DP, Accufab TB, built 200R4 with ? stall with a Reds 93 chip combo that had a MAF go bad after a week of me driving it.

I just installed a Scanmaster 2.1 and am learning it, and decided to not spend money on trying to find a good stock MAF and go translator with LT1. I am running a buddies stock MAF for now while he is awaiting to do more work on his car and I see a definate rich O2 at WOT, around 850's and numbers bounce all over the place.

My plans are next to get a TT chip for alky, as a razors alky kit will be purchased soon also, get that on there with the GEN II and an LT1 MAF and start learning to tune it. I will go easy on boost and alcohol until I get a good hang of it.

I am wondering about the wide band capabilities of the GEN II. As I am looking to go with that as well. From my uneducated view, I can connect a WB O2, and set a desired result into the GEN II, and it will direct the ECM to richen/lean accordingly. Is this true? If not, what does it do exactly with the WB O2 input?

Thanks for any and all inputs. I am trying to learn this turbo stuff.

Mike

If this is the case, I am thinking that tuning has just got much easier to do.

I guess I have been pretty lucky as I have had a stock MAF on my wifes car for years without a single problem. I have a Jim Testa chip, 009's, TA-61 and has gone a best of 11.27@118.

I am sure one day the stock MAF will go and will be interested in how the Gen 2 works.

Speed density uses manifold pressure verses RPM to determine fueling.

If you guys want wot tracking you will need fullthrottles extreme g chip for the gen 2 or the pro chip with the transpro.

I am wondering about the wide band capabilities of the GEN II. As I am looking to go with that as well. From my uneducated view, I can connect a WB O2, and set a desired result into the GEN II, and it will direct the ECM to richen/lean accordingly. Is this true? If not, what does it do exactly with the WB O2 input?

You need the extreme g chip for wot tracking then yes it will correct wot fuel. The wbo2 inputs to the gen 2.

actually any extender chip will work for AFR tracking.

The Extender Extreme Pro, and Extreme G are needed for the MAFt Pro and Gen-II to control the WOT timing.

Bob

Hey guys thanks for all the help, advice and input. I do believe I will go with this set up now. How is the ease of tunning and the gen 2 and the pro? Also are the pre programmed extreme pro and extreme G. Perfect out of the box or should I have it dyno tuned? Im just not sure which route to go.

Hey guys thanks for all the help, advice and input. I do believe I will go with this set up now. How is the ease of tunning and the gen 2 and the pro? Also are the pre programmed extreme pro and extreme G. Perfect out of the box or should I have it dyno tuned? Im just not sure which route to go.

That's kind of a hard question to answer. I can only relate my own experiences.
I got the Translator Pro and Extender Pro combination, and they matched my car perfectly "right out of the box". No driveability issues, nothin'.
I'm sure that's not always going to be the case. Probably more tuning issues with more heavilly modified engines. My engine is bone stock except for the injectors (50's), FMIC, and PTE44 turbo.
If you desire to stick with a MAF, the GEN II would be the same, I'm sure. Possibly even a little easier. But I've only had to tune one guy's GEN II, and that was to correct somebody else's bad data entries.

You'll never have a mail order chip be "perfect" out of the box. It's impossible to account for the myriad of variations between cars. My extender chip was pretty good but it still required fine tuning. That is the beauty of the extender and GenII combination. It is easily adjustable to account for different preferences and different engine combinations.

As far as dyno tuning.. thats kind of a waste of time. The dyno doesn't load your car like a track or the street so what you may find picks up power on the dyno will slow down your mph on the track. More often than not people pick up power on the dyno running more timing and less fuel than they could run on the track.

Back