New Metalica

Originally posted by Brian Mc
I think if Avril Lavigne covered St. Anger it would sound better.

:D
I'd probably watch the videos then!
I listened to it today at work since a co-worker bought it and it does suck. Sounds like it was made in my basement and it's just bad.
I think you guys should ask for your $$$ back.

I was going to buy the album without hearing it first. I've liked all the CDs up until now. I'm glad I didn't get the new one, would've had serious buyer's remorse.

I have to say that Metallica blows. They went against everything they used to stand for. Tape trading (NO WAY!) agression (GONE!) They just need to sit back, enjoy their money and not ruin our ears with any more bull****! Just my 2 pennys to throw out there.

Originally posted by ahrimans810
I have to say that Metallica blows. They went against everything they used to stand for. Tape trading (NO WAY!) agression (GONE!) They just need to sit back, enjoy their money and not ruin our ears with any more bull****! Just my 2 pennys to throw out there.

I agree

sux

Well, I would never buy anything sight unseen, or heard. Maybe if we bury all these cd's that are gonna be sold in the used bins soon, we can create a future oil reserve for distant generations to drive your preserved GN's around on. Metallica along with all those other groups of their era are showing there age. None of them have aged gracefully. Musically that is. But hey, I never cared for them anyway. Would much rather listen to some Staind or Skizzer or something else new, rather than rehashed noise anyway. Next year they will be playing state fairs to make some money.:D ,,,,,Mark

OK, I'll play spoiler. This CD is WEAK with a capital "W".
These guys have not made a decent album since the black (sandman) one. Without a doubt, when all is said and done, the Cliff era will be the defining moment for Metallica and Lightning/Master will be the definitive lps.

They remind me of AC/DC in a way. When Bon Scott bought the farm they brought in Brian Johnson and created one of the classic metal cd's of all time with "Back in Black". After that, it's been pure mediocrity. Same thing when Jason came in. Sandman was great and since then all downhill IMHO.

BTW - I'm talking recorded stuff, not live material which is another story.

Knowing the cross-pollination history of Megadeth and Metallic, IMHO Megadeth far exceeded Metallica in the post-sandman period. Without a doubt they are better musicians and the song and playing was superior (up to the "Risk" fiasco at least).

I'm waiting for the next album when Trujiillo gets to play. If you know about him, he's good and he's cool. Maybe he can ignite something in these guys that is clearly dead.

I'll agree that Load and Reload were less than impressive efforts from the boys. The last good album was BLACK.

I am very much into the heavier, groovy metal side of music and I think some of you guys are missing this in the new album. "My World" is very heavy throughout, "Sweet Amber" is also a very heavy song, and "An Unamed Feeling" is just plain great rhythm guitar work. The second half of this album is worthy and worth giving a bit more credit than you guys are giving them.

Yes, "St. Anger" is a weak song for sure, but some of the other stuff is pretty good, considering these guys are OLD A$$ES. :D How many of us here could put together several (not just one or two) albums of music that EVERYONE will like? I'd be hard pressed to find many that could, especially for 20 years.

Don't go flaming me here because I said they're all old, because other bands have followed this same path (Anthrax, White Zombie, Machine Head, etc.) with Megadeth being one of the exceptions to the rule. Too bad Dave had the accident and disbanded his life-long love. :mad:

For sure that's the drawback of success and being at the top. There is only 1 way to go, that's down. So you are forced into several choices:

1) Reinvent yourself
2) Do the same old thing over and over
3) Evolve

I'll be the last one to say any musician should simply keep putting out the same stuff. Music changes, like the impact of rap on rock and they have become dinosaurs in a way. I respect them for not trying to jump on the trend... like trying to sound like Korn. THAT would have been a real disaster and a joke. Thank goodness they didn't buy Ibanez 7 string guitars for the songs. I better watch the video closer..... :)

I hope they are in transition and evolving. But I really think they are stagnant at this point. There's a whole 'nother discussion and theory on being young, hungry and living the music vs. being older, rich and doing it when you want to.

Being old has nothing to do with it, other that potentially losing physical capability, like deterixy in playing guitar. I don't see Jimmy Page play the way he used to nor do I expect it from him.
On the other hand, I think Jeff Beck is one of the most respected musicians in the world from a guitar player point of view because he has continually been able to change and still sound "important".

Hey, maybe they put the DVD in for "free" because they felt guilty about suing everyone! :)

Originally posted by mark b
Hey, maybe they put the DVD in for "free" because they felt guilty about suing everyone! :)

I'll tell you something for sure. That DVD is way better to watch than listening to the CD. The DVD has great sound and is produced much better than the CD is. I'm a sucker for live music, though. ;)

Why can't Metallica pattern themselves after a band like Testament who can produce albums that rip your head off for years, go stagnant and make a few that suck, and then come out with one that is just the best thing they've ever done? :confused: Oh, well. It's easy to pick on somebody when you don't even know how to do it yourself I guess because that's what I'm doing right now. :eek:

> then come out with one that is just the best thing they've ever >done?

What Testament work would that be? Of course with that band you are talking 2 things: with and without Alex Skolnick who is a great guitar player.

And that leads into my point.... I think James is the cornerstone of that band, but I am really missing what Kirk's contribution has been since the black album. If he went into shred mode, or a more of a classic lead player, or something..... But what is he really doing?

Originally posted by mark b
What Testament work would that be?

And that leads into my point.... I think James is the cornerstone of that band, but I am really missing what Kirk's contribution has been since the black album. If he went into shred mode, or a more of a classic lead player, or something..... But what is he really doing?

The Gathering put out in 1999. Eric Peterson and James Murphy team up to produce some killer riffs.

Kirk used to be my favorite guitarist back when I was younger and cared about nothing but how "noisy" the music was. Then I met him back stage a few times and came to find out that he is a complete FREAK. I think he might be gay. But you have to give him credit for hanging with Metallica for all these years and cranking out some good tunes. If you remember a few albums back during the "LOAD" years that Kirk and Lars were both dressing like little girls with the frilly sh!t around their necks and black fingernail polish. WTF was that???? :eek:

I really liked the song "I disappear". Too bad that didn't make it to the new album. It's got some innovative sounds, not just bam bam bam, yell grunt yell. :(

Honestly the more i listen to it the better it gets. THere are some pretty heavy tunes on the album,Frantic is pretty killer. But being a Kirk Hammett fan i am a little diaaspointed there isnt a single guitar solo on hte album, but some real cool heavy riff though
Otto
Load and reload actually had way more in them than the old albums did, If you listen to the music it is way more thought out than the older albums which were all pretty basic chord playing throughout. But i stil would have to use Master as the all time best next to lightning, But my all time favorite song has to be KING NOTHING. That song rocks!!

It seems to be the way of every 80's metal band...

Slayer was good up until say maybe south of heaven (reign in blood, best album ever!), but now they suck. Just gotta hold onto the classics and maybe find some new stuff from elsewhere.

IMO the European metal scene is where it's at, for any of you searching for some good stuff.

Also, all this talk about Lars' snare. The sound is probably due to the fact he's probably using his 'signature snare' which has metal sides, I believe, and is rather short for a snare. I think I've seen it in music catalogs