New Methanol kit installed----wow!!!!

I think he is questioning my home built kit. I have almost everything the name brand kits have....ShurFlo pump, high quality solenoid, high quality pressure sensor, top rate nozzle and plumbing. The only thing I don't have is a progressive controller. Like I said before, I am still working the kinks out. It comes on when and how I want it to, sprays when it is supposed to and stops when it is supposed to. It completely controls knock. I am adding timing and boost (psi) little by little. I am up to 24 psi right now. I am wanting to get to the track on Thursday night, but my daughters volleyball team is in the state championship...no way am I going to miss that! I really think the biggest thing holding me back is tires. The BFG radials on it now will not suffice. Hopefully I will get some drag radials soon. I also plan to work together my own progressive controller. It's not because I like to gamble, I just like doing what I can do. Thanks for the comments, I appreciate the input.
John
Yes, that is what I was asking. Thats great! 24psi is sweet!!! Especially with $150 invested. I went through the list and I dont see how you only managed to spend $150, unless I looked at it wrong. They have some pumps that was damn near $100 alone.

www.alkycontrol.com

Julio has spent lots of time, hours, and testing into his products. I'm not knocking anyone wanting to build their own kit however why try to re-invent the wheel?? Alkycontrol and done for me!! The extra money is worth it to me and it goes to support an active member and vendor from the site
Based on the reviews about Julio, there's no question that his customer service is top notch!! However, I dont consider those trying to save a coin re-inventing the wheel. I do agree about the extra money being worth the customer service alone, plus, the performance gains are un-matched.

Yes, that is what I was asking. Thats great! 24psi is sweet!!! Especially with $150 invested. I went through the list and I dont see how you only managed to spend $150, unless I looked at it wrong. They have some pumps that was damn near $100 alone.
Phil,
I had a lot of the hardware myself already. I used my washer fluid tank..the pump was 89.00, the solenoid was 40.00 and the pressure switch was 30.00...and that is rounding, so maybe it was a bit over 150.00, but not much.

I agree with the others, that the Alky Control system is the way to go! I will end up there eventually. But for now, this system performs well. After a track even I will post some numbers.

Thats a great bang for the buck for sure. And you're using straight meth correct? Do you have an issue with bogging?

Thats a great bang for the buck for sure. And you're using straight meth correct? Do you have an issue with bogging?
Phil, I am using a 30% mix right now until I can find 100% methanol and then I will go to a 50% mix. I have absolutely no bogging or hesitation whatsoever. I have thought about going with a bigger nozzle. I am using a medium sized one right now. I can take pictures of the installed components and post them if you would like. I put a 'purge' button in this weekend so I can manually run the pump from the drivers seat to purge air out of the line. It is simply wired across the pressure switch with some small 'discreet' gauge wire, which is on the ground side of the relay. I mounted it in my ashtray. I am also going to post some GoPro video of the system in action. But no criticism guys as I was not going hard on the car....I try to stay within the speed limits...;)
John

Phil, I am using a 30% mix right now until I can find 100% methanol and then I will go to a 50% mix. I have absolutely no bogging or hesitation whatsoever. I have thought about going with a bigger nozzle. I am using a medium sized one right now. I can take pictures of the installed components and post them if you would like. I put a 'purge' button in this weekend so I can manually run the pump from the drivers seat to purge air out of the line. It is simply wired across the pressure switch with some small 'discreet' gauge wire, which is on the ground side of the relay. I mounted it in my ashtray. I am also going to post some GoPro video of the system in action. But no criticism guys as I was not going hard on the car....I try to stay within the speed limits...;)
John
As promised.....
Just a 'lightfooted" pass to test the engagement of my methanol system.
Boost was only at around 15-17, running pump gas (93) and a Turbo Tweak chip with a small amount of extra timing.

Last edited:
So what you're purchasing for meth is a mix already? where do you buy from? and why did you turn the boost down from the 23lbs you had it at? This is a great thread for the DIY guys. Thanks again for sharing

I am running -30 below windshield washer fuild and Heet. I just picked up some methanol..it is air brake antifreeze. It is 100%. I am going to try that until I source racing Methanol. Or until I learn if there is a difference. I lowered the boost because I installed a boost controller and that was where I ended when I first put it on. I wish I had more time for test and tune!

Sent from my MB855 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

thats interesting. Turn the boost up and fry the tires!! Lol. I wanna see how far you can go with that stuff!

thats interesting. Turn the boost up and fry the tires!! Lol. I wanna see how far you can go with that stuff!
I am up to 22 psi now...running flawlessly. I am going to start tailoring my Turbo Tweak 93 chip a little with timing and fuel adjustments.
I might also consider running the smaller methanol jet.

thats super cool. is there something in the cabin of the car that notifies you when it's spraying?

thats super cool. is there something in the cabin of the car that notifies you when it's spraying?
YES!... the smile in my rear view mirror...lol ;)

Actually, I did buy a small led to put in...but I am going to wait until I install another pressure switch inline with the nozzle. I was going to install across the pressure switch that is inline with boost, but it would be a 'true' indicator (meaning the LED would light when it's being told to spray, not when it actually is).

I also want to update and say that I am looking to go with a smaller nozzle. It's not that it is bogging, I just feel I could go a bit smaller and still reap the benefits....

Last edited: