New N/A Combo - first run

Prestage.com is gone I think. The guy who ran it has other priorities right now...haven't even seen him at the track in a couple years. What do you have cookin' nowadays, Freddy?... I met a guy this week with a C/FS Grand Am, 3.0L running 14.20's - cool stuff! ...Fred C.,Where are you? I have lots of Moroso stuff on the new combo!

Wow, the thing I noticed first was the HUGE cam! Is it a solid roller? What kind of RPM does it turn? What is the weight of the car? To be honest I too am diving into the N/A world with my Vega. I have been collecting parts for a couple of years now and was trying to decide if a stroker was worth it or not. My biggest concern was that the cam I have, 224 @ .050 solid roller, would be a little small for the added cubes. I have M&A aluminum heads and a gear drive too. I was planning on race gas, wet sump, and stock 4.1 block filled partially with Hard Blok. Nothing too exotic but plenty quick in a 2300 pound car.

Solid roller same range as an old ASA car that turned 8200. Haven't had mine over 7000 yet. Alky doesn't need or like to spin that fast and my car's only legal to 11.50 anyway. 3300lbs myself included...my 4.1 was 12.2:1, self ported 8445 heads, 256/266 @ .050, .610 lift, stock crank,rods, ran 12.74 @ 104 and 7000rpm - broke lots of rockers

Here I am!

Way to go Greg! 11.84 :)

The Grand National is up on blocks, just got the tranny back. But there are other issues.

1. Bad brake and fuel lines.

2. Bad electrical connections @ the fuel pump and a clogged fuel pump sock.

3. The tranny makes a noise like a blower over 2K RPM. Most likely (hopefully) a rubbing converter cover.

4. The tranny has to have the pan dropped again to have the wire installed and the right 4-pin plug installed on the side of the tranny. For TCC and the 4th & 3rd gear switches.

5. It has to go though Emissions before the registration will go back into effect (Even though the state cheerfully cashed my check for the registration).

When it is said and done with a best ET of 12.25 with the tighter converter I should be in the 11's. I went with a 10" edge lockup 3000 stall. With the new transmission.

Never made it up to the track at all this year. Tranny let go on the way to the track.

It’s good to here from you !

1 step at a time, I always say Fred. Took me nearly 3 years since receiving my TA block to get her running. I'm not rushing to make it any quicker, BUT the convertor's 1000 rpm too tight, the 2 speed is 1/10th slower than the TH-350, the carb is pig rich. I honestly believe it's capable of 11.0's with a few fixes. Just trying to keep reminding myself I'm a bracket racer... :rolleyes:
Anyway, if there's anybody who can trace a wire in a spaghetti maze, it's you! Hope to see you at the track soon! Dad and I will be there on the 8th for the last points race. Time for some head hunting! GB

Anyway, if there's anybody who can trace a wire in a spaghetti maze, it's you! GB[/QUOTE]

Uh, You remember the OLDS. :)

I hope to see you there on the 8th also. But my son-in law is in Afghanistan and my daughter is staying with us. She is scheduled for sinus surgery sometime in the time period. But If I can I will be there.

I'm hoping to be there, but the car is not cooperating. I got the front fuel line in. But I need to secure it better. The brake line is one piece stainless, And I am having a hard time getting it routed with the body on the car. Plus I do not have a lift so I’m only a foot or two off the ground.

The valve inside the proportion valve popped out, so I have to replace that.

I did start the car up, but the tranny sounds like a blower (above 2K RPM’s). So once I get it together, I will bring it down to Jerry’s Transmission (They did not rebuild the transmission). I suspect the pump, but………

So…………

Oh yea, I have to run it though emissions before they’ll renew the registration. :mad:

hmm so what all would be good to rebuild a nice n/a v6 to about 250-300 horsepower.

I can get the heads ported and polished,
have the pistons bored I was thinking maybe .40 over...(dunno you all tell me)
Edelbrock perfomer manifold and performer plus camshaft (forgot exact specs off top of head.)
set of hedman headers.

but What other internal mods would you all say to have done.

To get an honest 300 HP out of a stock iron headed motor is going to be tough. Compression and lots of it will make the power but 3.8 and 4.1 high compression pistons are not easy or cheap to come by. I have a stock bottom end 4.1 with .025" shaved off the deck (CR up to 8.6), ported irons, big cam, single plane intake, and Holley 600 and it makes about 220 HP. Without more compression, you will be very limited.

so what if I bit the bullet and bought the Champion GN1 aluminum head...what all would I need to do extra in reality...and thanks for the honest answers. and that head does not need to be ported anymore does it?

and what would be a nice size cam for doing it

You should start a new thread so the info shared isn't burried in someone elses post. It will make it easier to find in the future.

Erik, with the M&A's, the 224 stick should be good for 6000 or a little more on the 4.1. If anybody wants, I have a set of Wiseco 3.830 flat tops with reliefs,CR around 12:1 with 48cc heads, new, attached to some rods for cheap(compared to what I paid)
Georgiaboy,the Edelbrock pieces probably won't make the power you're looking for. The GN-1's or the new TA heads are a good start,the Weiand 7541 and bigger bumps on the cam will help. GB

Greg, so the 224 would be a little small for a stroker (272") then. That has been my guess from the start. You said you broke a lot of rockers with the old set-up. Were they rollers and if so what kind? Was it because of the shaft style or just too much lift? Very interested.

On the 300HP discussion, I agree that you would need to step it up to get there, to the point that it might not be too fun to drive on the street. More cam, compression, carb and intake equate to more needed rear gear, race gas, and lazy down low. It all depends on what you are willing to live with. I don't drive mine much on the street anymore but when I do it is a chore.