You can type here any text you want

new nos short block

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo85

Question: How much work would it take to make a nos 87 short block ready to install? Would you have to take motor apart and redue all seals; rear main, front timing seal , etc. Please need input. Thanks Turbo 85.

If you want to upgrade the rear seal to a neoprene one it's not too bad. All you have to do is remove the rear main cap and replace it. The Felpro version is around $10. That should be the only seal in the engine as there isn't a front cover, oil pan etc.

As far as cost to make it ready to install it really depends if you will be taking parts off an existing engine and what level of performance you're shooting for. Sorry for a vague answer but it's an open ended question.

Neal

short block

If you want to upgrade the rear seal to a neoprene one it's not too bad. All you have to do is remove the rear main cap and replace it. The Felpro version is around $10. That should be the only seal in the engine as there isn't a front cover, oil pan etc.

As far as cost to make it ready to install it really depends if you will be taking parts off an existing engine and what level of performance you're shooting for. Sorry for a vague answer but it's an open ended question.

Neal

Thanks Neal. A short block comes with, rotating assemply,(crank, cam, pistons, rods, timing chain, and block. Is that the extent of the short block? Thanks Lynno

We put one of those GM shortblocks in my buddy's car years ago and I don't remember it coming with a cam, timing chain, front cover or oil pan. I could be wrong.

Neal

Thanks Neal. A short block comes with, rotating assemply,(crank, cam, pistons, rods, timing chain, and block. Is that the extent of the short block? Thanks Lynno

The one I bought years ago did not come with a cam, just crank, rods, and pistons. Installed it as delivered, no issues. :)

look over the holes good. We had one with a BIG nick it in. BUT it was the only bad one out of maybe 15/20 that I did. Block, crank, rods and pistons.. that was all that GM gave ya at the time.

Back