New rotors - anything special to do to the surface?

copo

Guys,
I need to replace the front rotors and pads on my '87 GN. Are the rotors true enough that they don't need to be turned down a tad? Do I need to do anything to the surface besides taking the brake clean to them? And I plan to repack the bearings and install a new grease seal on the real.

BTW
Has anyone ever tried the tool that connects to a grease gun to pack the bearings, forcing the old grease out? I think it was made by Lyle. I did once and more grease came out of the sides of the tool that sandwiched the bearing. Maybe I wasn't using it correctly. I just hate packing them by hand. I'm always afraid I missed spots. Ya, I know how to do it but it's tedious. Any other tools or methods you guys use? Thx in advance.

Snap-On, Mac , Matco all have bearing packers that work well

You fill them up with good (I use only synthetic) grease, drop your bearings in one at time, and push down on the cone till all the old grease is flushed out with new. They are around $20~$25. :cool:

The one I used and returned years ago had an attachment for your grease gun.

The ones I'm talking about do too ( I have 2 of them)

I just don't use that feature, cuz I only use synthetic wheel bearing grease from a tub. :cool:

Originally posted by copo
Guys,
I need to replace the front rotors and pads on my '87 GN. Are the rotors true enough that they don't need to be turned down a tad? Do I need to do anything to the surface besides taking the brake clean to them?

No you don't need to resurface them. They're machined true at the factory. Sometimes there will be an anti-corrosion coating on them that you can wash off with soapy water, but you don't HAVE to. It'll burn off while you're bedding the pads.

I seem to do more than most.

I clean the new rotors inside and out with brake cleaner and wipe dry with a clean towel.

If I am reusing bearings, I clean them first in my handy garage parts washer, (a painter's bucket with kerosene), and then repack them by hand with fresh grease. Its a mess, but I like to see that I have filled between the rollers.

Re: Re: New rotors - anything special to do to the surface?

Originally posted by Turbo6inKY
Sometimes there will be an anti-corrosion coating on them that you can wash off with soapy water, but you don't HAVE to. It'll burn off while you're bedding the pads.

Please do not put the rotors on without cleaning them first. The cosmoline that the manufacturer puts on the rotors should not be burned into the pads, unless you want the possibility of squeeking and sub-par braking performance. You can use a solvent like brake cleaner to remove the cosmoline or just plenty of hot soapy water like we do at my shop. Keeping everything very clean is the key to a good brake job, and one that will last without alot of noise. Make sure you replace the caliper hardware or at least lube the rubber parts with silicone grease, and the metal to metal contact points with high temp moly grease to keep the calipers from hanging up and wearing out your pads unevenly. Most of all have fun. :D

Do not count on new rotors to be true just because they are new. Unless you are going with proven good quality & expensive rotors like Raybestos ect...it will be a crap shoot.

The advance auto parts and Auto Zone basic cheaper stuff made in Mejico & India must be checked.