You can type here any text you want

new stainless valve questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TURBOTIMMER

I'm hand porting a set of 8445 heads for a budget motor I'm putting together. Had the heads checked by my local machine shop. They said they didn't think oversized valves would fit without offsetting the guides and getting into a lot more $$$. I'm already going to buy new valves, so what valves would work without getting into all the extra machine work? Motor is basically a stock bottom end with arp hardware, hyper pistons and a 212/212 roller.

A 1.770" intake will fit without any rework.

A 1.500" exhaust valve is about your only affordable choice

Valve are available from Manley and Ferrea. Both are not "Budget" friendly.

I always get a chuckle when people mention "Buick V6" and "Budget" in the same conversation. The two are mutually exclusive.

The stock 1.5 exhaust valve has an undercut at the top of the stem just below the lock groove. It will interfere with a seal if you choose to install one on the exhaust guide. The valve should be replaced with an aftermarket valve to avoid the problem. Both the exhaust guide and intake guide need to be machined down to allow for additional valve lift.

I prefer the Ferrea valves over Manley. I have seen excessive pitting and erosion on the backside of Manley exhaust valves.

Yeah, the machine shop told me the same thing about the exhaust valves. I figured since they were going to do a complete valve job and i had to buy valves, I might as well go with bigger ones.

I guess what I meant by budget was not shelling out $1500 for a set of champions.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

There aren't any bigger exhaust valves available for stock heads that I know. There isn't much room to put a bigger intake AND exhaust valve. Of the two, a larger intake will provide a bigger gain.

Sealed Power makes a stock replacement valve (p/n V4168) for our engines that does not have the undercut. It is a stainless high temp valve and a full set costs like $60. I just bought a set for a stock rebuild I am trying to finish up. Not a bad looking valve for a stock replacement.........certainly not a Manley or Ferrea, but it isn't priced like those parts either.

Lots of guys have gone fast with stock valves. I've gone 10.80's with stock unported heads and a stock cam.

There aren't any bigger exhaust valves available for stock heads that I know. There isn't much room to put a bigger intake AND exhaust valve. Of the two, a larger intake will provide a bigger gain.

Sealed Power makes a stock replacement valve (p/n V4168) for our engines that does not have the undercut. It is a stainless high temp valve and a full set costs like $60. I just bought a set for a stock rebuild I am trying to finish up. Not a bad looking valve for a stock replacement.........certainly not a Manley or Ferrea, but it isn't priced like those parts either.

Lots of guys have gone fast with stock valves. I've gone 10.80's with stock unported heads and a stock cam.

That is exactly what I'm looking for.

The Ferrea O/S valves with fit with not problem. The radius on the intake is only .035" closer to the ex valve.

The good part is you get fresh meat on the intake seat to set the seat height dead nuts (or do like me and leave it as far into the combustion chamber as possible).

On the exhausts, the Ferreas are the same size numerically, but they'll flow better without that stupid ski jump right before the seating area.

Earl, a quick trip to the valve grinder and a back-cut on the exhaust valve will fix most of that ski jump problem!!

Oh, you're right, as long as you have access to a valve grinder.... but it'd be awful to get charged $10/valve to back cut an old stocker.

Plus Ferreas don't have the concave bottom so there's an extra CC or so from that too :)

Back