new to Charlotte(Huntersville), NC

TulsaGN

I just moved from Tulsa, OK and just wanted to say hi and hopefully meet with some fellow turbo v6 owners. A few questions:

1. is there a local club that meets from time to time? maybe Charlotte or NC or both?

2. where in the hell do you buy race gas that would be closed to Huntersville. I just spent an hour calling and looking places up(I know, this is Saturday)

3. what type of emissions am I going to be dealing with. in Tulsa, there are NO inspections so I have no cat. conv., so what can I expect?

4. why aren't there any 1/4 mile tracks, it's all 1/8th?

5. in the Tulsa area we had 1 guy that was THE man and built motors and was the help all and extrememly knowledgeable, is there a person or persons like that in the area?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to find out what and where.

Thanks....Brian

Hello Brian & Welcome to the Carolinas,

Yes there's a local group of TR members that meet, chat, cruise, gather, ect. regularly. Next meet is at the Charlotte Auto fair on April 7th & 8th.

Post up what kind of gas your looking for....

1. is there a local club that meets from time to time? maybe Charlotte or NC or both?

There's no club per say, but there is a group of us that are a pretty close knit group in the area.

2. where in the hell do you buy race gas that would be closed to Huntersville. I just spent an hour calling and looking places up(I know, this is Saturday)

There is a place on the south side of Charlotte we buy our VP race fuels from.

3. what type of emissions am I going to be dealing with. in Tulsa, there are NO inspections so I have no cat. conv., so what can I expect?

There is safety inspections only for pre-'93 cars. No emissions for us.

I asked the same thing when I moved here from Ohio. We're still waiting on Bruton Smith to build us one.

5. in the Tulsa area we had 1 guy that was THE man and built motors and was the help all and extrememly knowledgeable, is there a person or persons like that in the area?

Yes and no. We all try to help each other out as much as possible. But you're in the right spot for the fast cars... ;) :biggrin:

K.

Thanks for the replies and thanks for letting me know there is race gas around somewhere, I would like for something to be closer to Huntersville though. I'm looking for anything from 101 unleaded to 110, 112 or 116. Can you tell I'm used to Sunoco? ;)

TulsaGN said:
Thanks for the replies and thanks for letting me know there is race gas around somewhere, I would like for something to be closer to Huntersville though. I'm looking for anything from 101 unleaded to 110, 112 or 116. Can you tell I'm used to Sunoco? ;)

There might be a Citgo or Unocal-76 gas station with a 100-unleaded pump in the Huntersville area. There are a few of those in the Charlotte area. As for the leaded good stuff, I'm not sure about that. Like I mentioned above we use a place called Mills Oil Co. for the VP race fuels. They're located in the Matthews/Indian Trail area just south of Charlotte.

Huntersville is a nice area. Did the job relocate you? What type of business are you in??

K.

TulsaGN said:

Rockingham,Fayetteville(The most ****-talkin in NC),Jacksonville,Darlington,Bristol off the top of my head.

Welcome to N.C.
Geoff

I'm giving a go at surgical sales, 100% commission :eek: , and so I had to move myself(and wife) out here with no $ help. I'm really getting a feel for the area and the docs, so I really can't say how it's going to work out.

"Rockingham,Fayetteville(The most ****-talkin in NC),Jacksonville,Darlington,Bristol off the top of my head.".....well, I'm used to driving 15 minutes up the road to the 1/4 track, even on slicks :biggrin:

TulsaGN said:
...well, I'm used to driving 15 minutes up the road to the 1/4 track, even on slicks :biggrin:

I drove 3-hours from Charlotte to Raleigh, and 3-hours back to Charlotte, on ET Streets and VP c-16 last year... :biggrin: So I know your passion... ;)

Unfortunately the closest 1/4mi. tracks to us are 2+ hours away.

I also feel 'ya on the 100% commision, as my job is structured that way as well. The difference is that you have to "hunt down" your customer, where as the customer comes to us at my work.

SloGN said:
Excuse me :D but there is a car club here is NC. GM Turbo 6

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/GM_TURBO6/

Oh yeah, my bad... :)

And then there are those of us that like to go fast... :eek: :p

Speaking of... What are the plans for the Auto Fair?? For those of us not showing our ride do you have anything planned afterwards?? Any club meeting planned at the track??

K.

NCTURBOS said:

Speaking of... What are the plans for the Auto Fair?? For those of us not showing our ride do you have anything planned afterwards?? Any club meeting planned at the track??

K.

sorry that were not as fast as you guys:) But we look so much better :eek:

so far i don't think there is going to be anything after the showing at autofair.

but in may 5 (sat) we are going to have our annual meeting @ jordan lake's vista point access. before everybody heads out for BG nats.

and in apirl were going to myrtle beach.

Any of you be in the Matthews/Indian Trail area around the 12-15th or so of April? I am coming down to scope out a possible move, scope out homesand meet with a shop owner to discuss employment. Will be arriving down on the Wed 12th, and leaving Sat am. Would love to meet with some of you guys that week/weekend, maybe get me motivated to move....

Reference #1

NCTURBOS said:
Yes and no. We all try to help each other out as much as possible. But you're in the right spot for the fast cars...

Reference #2

NCTURBOS said:

SloGN,

My thinking is that we are looked down on by NCTURBOS because he is faster than us.

TurboJim,

I guess if you want to go slow than you can just hang with us. :biggrin:

sydwyndr said:
My thinking is that we are looked down on by NCTURBOS because he is faster than us.
Clint you are doing something if you are slower than Keith, when his car was running it went out of his garage about 3 times. ;)

Jim I'm about 10 min. from you, East on hwy 73. I found a place a few years ago that was willing to deliver Sunoco to me for a fair price, but I decided to stick with VP. there are a few places in the Mooresville area that deal with VP, if that is what you want.

Geoff: haven't heard much from ya lately, how's the car coming?, how's Lee?

sydwyndr said:
SloGN,

Just picking Clint, if I offended I'll tune it down a bit... ;)

K.

TurboIndian said:
Clint you are doing something if you are slower than Keith, when his car was running it went out of his garage about 3 times. ;)

...And I'll bet with only making it out "3" times I still put more miles on my race, I mean street car, than you did yours... :biggrin:

K.

Anyways... Both Brian and Jim, I guess you can tell from some of these posts that we're all friends and like to have a good time picking on each other. Don't worry once you get to know us you'll be involved... :biggrin:

IMHO, I think the Carolinas are a great place to be. We don't have much close to us for 1/4mi. tracks, but the tracks we do have stay open pretty much year round. It's also a very good place to start or bring the family to. Great schools outside of Char./Meck.

K.

TurboIndian said:
Jim I'm about 10 min. from you, East on hwy 73. I found a place a few years ago that was willing to deliver Sunoco to me for a fair price, but I decided to stick with VP. there are a few places in the Mooresville area that deal with VP, if that is what you want.
should have said Brian not Jim-- I need to quit smoking crack & preview my posts :rolleyes:

NCTURBOS said:
I also feel 'ya on the 100% commision, as my job is structured that way as well. The difference is that you have to "hunt down" your customer, where as the customer comes to us at my work.

NCTURBOS....So what type of business are you in?