You can type here any text you want

New to the AR world

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dreamn4GN

Picked up a AR two months ago and finally got to shoot it Christmas Morning. And i put about 60 rounds through it and After I picked up my brass I noticed a mark on each casing. I then noticed peices of brass on the forward assist thats right by the ejection port. Seems like the casing is hitting this upon ejection. Guy who is doing my reloads said the crease on the casing will smooth out. So thats a plus. But Im wondering should I adjust the ejector so this doesnt happen or should I shoot some more to break the gun in first and see if it goes away upon break in? I had no ejection or feeding problems while shooting. Can this get worse? Not sure what to do. I want to adjust it so I don't damage my brass to where it is no good. Looking for some imput.
TIA

The ejector and extractor are spring loaded but the ejector is a spring loaded plunger that presses on the back of the case so I don't know how it would put a mark on a case.

The ejector and extractor are spring loaded but the ejector is a spring loaded plunger that presses on the back of the case so I don't know how it would put a mark on a case.
I Should have taken pictures. I will the next time I goto the range. Somthing is nicking my brass upon ejection. Ill take pictures of my brass and where I believe it is hitting .

What ammo where you shooting in what gun?

It's completely normal. If you start tinkering with the extractor or gas system to change it, you're likely going to do harm to the operation of the rifle.

Don't do it.

Here is a very easy solution that could cure your damaged brass issue.
I too noticed this condition when I first got back into AR rifles. Brass getting dinged and dented really badly. The design of most uppers today, have a brass deflector molded into the upper receiver, just behind the dust cover/ejection port. On brand new rifles the ejector springs are strong enough to cause the brass to eject rather quickly. This is absolutely normal. The case smacks into the brass deflector causing damage.
What I do to help cure this, is this.

Go to your Home Depot or hardware store, pick up a pack or box of Velcro that you can cut to size. Take a piece of the soft velcro that is just larger than the brass deflector on the upper. Now, carefully trim the velcro piece until it is the exact size as the brass deflector, but slightly away from the dust cover. In other words, the velcro piece you cut, should not hinder the dust cover from opening under spring tension. Once you have it cut to size, wipe the brass deflector off with some rubbing alcohol and a rag to remove any grease or oil from the brass deflector. Let air dry until the alcohol evaporates. Now simply peal, position and stick the velcro to the brass deflector. It should stay on the upper for a long time. I typically would have to replace the piece of velcro after about 600-700 rounds, but that is worth it to keep from damaging my brass, as well as scratching up the coating on the brass deflector. If for some reason it won't stay stuck, you can use a thin layer of rubber cement. The piece you will cut out, will look like this.

velcroonbrassdeflector.jpg

Just make sure that when cut to fit and installed, that it does not interfere with the dust cover when opened with spring release. IE pulling the charging handle back just enough to cause the BCG to pop the dust cover open. I do this mod to every new AR that I have and currently own. No more brass problems.

If your upper does not have a brass deflector molded in, take a small rectangular piece of soft velcro that is about the same length as a spent case and place it directly behind the ejection port.
Hope this helps

Patrick

Here is a very easy solution that could cure your damaged brass issue.
I too noticed this condition when I first got back into AR rifles. Brass getting dinged and dented really badly. The design of most uppers today, have a brass deflector molded into the upper receiver, just behind the dust cover/ejection port. On brand new rifles the ejector springs are strong enough to cause the brass to eject rather quickly. This is absolutely normal. The case smacks into the brass deflector causing damage.
What I do to help cure this, is this.

Go to your Home Depot or hardware store, pick up a pack or box of Velcro that you can cut to size. Take a piece of the soft velcro that is just larger than the brass deflector on the upper. Now, carefully trim the velcro piece until it is the exact size as the brass deflector, but slightly away from the dust cover. In other words, the velcro piece you cut, should not hinder the dust cover from opening under spring tension. Once you have it cut to size, wipe the brass deflector off with some rubbing alcohol and a rag to remove any grease or oil from the brass deflector. Let air dry until the alcohol evaporates. Now simply peal, position and stick the velcro to the brass deflector. It should stay on the upper for a long time. I typically would have to replace the piece of velcro after about 600-700 rounds, but that is worth it to keep from damaging my brass, as well as scratching up the coating on the brass deflector. If for some reason it won't stay stuck, you can use a thin layer of rubber cement. The piece you will cut out, will look like this.

velcroonbrassdeflector.jpg

Just make sure that when cut to fit and installed, that it does not interfere with the dust cover when opened with spring release. IE pulling the charging handle back just enough to cause the BCG to pop the dust cover open. I do this mod to every new AR that I have and currently own. No more brass problems.

If your upper does not have a brass deflector molded in, take a small rectangular piece of soft velcro that is about the same length as a spent case and place it directly behind the ejection port.
Hope this helps

Patrick
Thanks ill give it a shot. I do not have an ejection port cover, so that shouldnt be a problem. But I do have the deflector mold in it, ( i think). I have the mold for the forward assist button, but I have no forward assist. Does that act as the deflector?? Pretty sure it is, bc Thats where flakes of brass were left on. I think It would help out regardless. Im guessing this goes away over time and break in??

Okay soo, I got something set up on my AR to protect my brass upon ejection, we will see how it works tomm. But I have a bigger problem. How can I adjust my front sight without the Magpul key tool?? Bc I cant find it in stock anywheres around my area or online for that matter and Im going to the range tomm. Has anyone ever afjustwed it without that tool? I was able to compress the spring, but had no way to turn the actually pin. Looking for suggestions. Or I will just have to hold high tomm. thanks

Back