New Tranny-But no power in overdrive? HELP!! Who knows trannys???

BlackGNTURBO

87GN STOLEN!!NY GNTURBO1
:confused: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Gn since Oct. and when I got it the tranny was in lock up. No power till rpms got up. Well I went to a tranny shop an hour away Because a friend told me this guy was great. So I went. He put in a 10.5 pro torque HD converter HD clutches, Art Carr shift kit, hardened pump rings, 10 vane rotor. Let me say It shifts Great UNTILL IT GOES INTO OVERDRIVE..... Once it goes in overdrive it seems as if it goes into over drive then 2 seconds later It FEELS as if it goes in to another gear. But Theres NO POWER.... I dont know much about trannys But a guy I know who knows Turbo regals said I need a custom performance chip from turbotweak.com. I spoke to the guy who fixed my tranny and he said when he drove it it was perfect. He then told me to have that guy who drove it to call him. Ever since I drove it on the highway it did this. Can anyone help..

Oh I dont know if this matters but One cyl has 10 pds of compression. I Dont know if this would effect My issue. But Thank you to all who can offer some help... Thanks.. My email--- Blackgnturbo@aol.com
Rich

If you have a cylinder at 10 psi, i dont think the car would even idle correctly. I would start with the obvious first.

Well......

:confused: Well the car runs great. It takes a bit to trun it over but theres a little shake.. And I need to know If this problem is the tranny, Or a chip? The tranny guy is an hour away and really doesnt want to see the car because he said it drove great. I just dont want to smoke the tranny. I thought this web site would have some guys who can help..

BlackGNTURBO said:
:confused: Well the car runs great. It takes a bit to trun it over but theres a little shake.. And I need to know If this problem is the tranny, Or a chip? The tranny guy is an hour away and really doesnt want to see the car because he said it drove great. I just dont want to smoke the tranny. I thought this web site would have some guys who can help..
Does it free rev in OD or is it just bogged down. How much boost, at what road speed, it the TCC locked in 4th?

BlackGNTURBO said:

The part about not wanting to see the car sounds fishy. When I build a tranny, I have concerns that my customers are happy. I have even driven from my house in Las Cruces to Albuquerque to help out a customer when his pump broke in a trans that I built and that is 250+ miles one way. The low compression needs to be addressed but he should not have said this.

the 2nd shift you feel in od is lock up. if the car is down on compression it will not make much power in lock up. try unpluging the elect.conector on the driver's side of the trans. if it feels better then lock up is the key. you really dont want to go on long drives with it unpluged. as the trans will run hot. you need to get the motor fixed.

bison said:
Does it free rev in OD or is it just bogged down. How much boost, at what road speed, it the TCC locked in 4th?

When it goes into overdrive It feels fine for the first 2-3 seconds then Bogs down. Low boost. 40-50 mph. :confused:

as already stated, unplug the electrical connector on the side of the trans and take it for a drive. this will keep the TCC from locking up.
or, if you aren't a "hands on" guy, just drive it down the road, and right after the "second" shift in OD, lightly put your foot on the brake pedal to disengage the TCC and then see how it drives.
but if you have a weak cylinder, you are down 16% of your power and the engine will have to work that much harder to maintain speed, and you need to get that taken care of.

BlackGNTURBO said:
When it goes into overdrive It feels fine for the first 2-3 seconds then Bogs down. Low boost. 40-50 mph. :confused:
Its definitely the TCC then. The factory program locks it up at light load around 40 mph. It should unlock if the throttle is pressed. If not you have a TCC cicuit problem. Could be a bad TCC. If its more noticeable hot its probably the TCC. It should always unlock if the breaks are applied unless their is a short to ground on the TCC wiring.

novaderrik said:
as already stated, unplug the electrical connector on the side of the trans and take it for a drive. this will keep the TCC from locking up.
or, if you aren't a "hands on" guy, just drive it down the road, and right after the "second" shift in OD, lightly put your foot on the brake pedal to disengage the TCC and then see how it drives.
but if you have a weak cylinder, you are down 16% of your power and the engine will have to work that much harder to maintain speed, and you need to get that taken care of.
Running with a dead cylinder will cause a lot of light load drivabilty issues in closed loop. The O2 will see excess fuel and lean out the good cylinders :eek: . I assume the cat converter is gone or punched out. If not it will plug in a short time from all the raw fuel being dumped in the exhaust. Then the power will really go down.