New upper dash speaker cover!

jretrodude

Just bought a nice aftermarket medium gray primered upper dash panel that covers the speakers etc. Was curious did those have a coat or two of clear from the factory or whoever painted them the gray? I have an exact match gray from a local paint store, but I have painted my t top trim for the tops in this color but did not clear them? They look good but don't have any type of sheen to them? I'm assuming just over the years with previous owners and such that armor all and all sorts of cleaning products were used to clean them up or give them a shine? Any help would be appreciated as I need to paint this before Tuesday since my new tweeters are going in. Shoot me an e-mail if need be at jretrodude@aol.com

Yes I think I will just leave it the gray in came in? Looks nice now I think my old one is just years of sunlight and cleaning products that makes it look lighter?

Where did you get the dash speaker cover? Price? Can you post a pic of it?

Thanks
Bryan

I'm interested in where you got it. Does it fit like the OE piece?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Do not screw the dash top down tight. That is the number one reason for cracking. The plastic needs to move a little when in the direct sun, and if its screwed down, it cannot. When I modified mine for new speakers, I reinstalled it with 2 small pieces of velcro, and used no screws. It does not rattle or bounce, and can move very freely.
You can get the dash top from Dennis for about $190.00 I do believe.

Mine rattle something fierce if I don't tighten the screws. Is it ok if I don't park it in the sun often? This car gets about 3000 miles a year. What do you say?

Also, is there anyone making replacement panels with buldged grills to fit these modern speakers that are out now?

Last edited:
Mine rattle something fierce if I don't tighten the screws. Is it ok if I don't park it in the sun often? This car gets about 3000 miles a year. What do you say?
Mine sits there...no noise at all. Not one screw even holding it in place

Mine sits there...no noise at all. Not one screw even holding it in place

I'll give coaches method a go, I have Velcro for mine. I figured I would use some adhesive & scraps of that toolbox drawer liner in strategic places if needed. Of course before I can find a rattle, I gotta get the car on the road first. :cautious:

There are some flat spots on the back in contact areas for velchro - otherwise I think shims of some sort would work to keep it straight & stuck down.

I'll give coaches method a go, I have Velcro for mine. I figured I would use some adhesive & scraps of that toolbox drawer liner in strategic places if needed. Of course before I can find a rattle, I gotta get the car on the road first. :cautious:

There are some flat spots on the back in contact areas for velchro - otherwise I think shims of some sort would work to keep it straight & stuck down.
Yes...I used foam as a spacer and attached the sticky velco. It only weighs ounces...its a very light part.

If I have time...I'll try to get some. I have to work all weekend, so I cant promise.