You can type here any text you want

Newb Gen6 Tuning ?s

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

stroked94z

I've just starting tuning a Gen6 setup on a 383 LT1 powered Camaro w/ a fairly large cam. I've read the tuning manual and book, but still am a little confused when it comes to the fuel map. The setup has a narrowband O2 sensor, and from what I am reading, it says that in closed loop, it is always going to adjust back to 14.7 and that your goal is to get the base fuel map calibrated so that it is correcting as little as possible. I have a friend with a very similar setup engine and cam wise, but with a FAST wideband setup. He says that his car runs best a little richer than 14.7 in most areas of the map. He is able to simply command the desired AF ratio. Is there a way for me to richen up certain areas of the map, but still run in closed loop, or do most people just run open loop all the time and set up the fuel map accordingly?

hmmm, the only way I can think of to run a gen 6 in closed loop and run it richer than stoich would be to have a wide band setup that can output a fake narrow band signal. I think some of the setups out there have that capability. If you can have a wideband lie, and tell it that, say, real life 14.0:1 outputs a narrowband 14.7:1 signal, and run that signal to the gen6, then you'd be able to do what you want. *If* there is a wideband setup out there that can do that. I think that is possible.

If not, I'd say dial it in with the narrowband until you get zero or no correction, then change it full open loop and richen up those idle/cruise cells by 5% or whatever to get the slightly richer a/f ratio you are looking for.

I would say that investing in a wide band is a good idea anyway to help tune the WOT parts of your map, so it wouldn't be money down the drain.

John

The innovate lc-1 and lm-1 do what you want it to do to simulate different a/f's. But you have to remember the gen 6 only corrects in closed loop upto 5% from 1 to 10% TPS, after that it will correct 25% and wont correct at wot unless you have the tps closed loop set to 99%. The correction is not instant, either.

It works OK, but anything more you might as well get a newer system, like the gen7, xfi, etc.

Thanks for the help. I am using a wideband guage, but it is just an Autometer and I don't think it has any outputs that would be useful as in input for the DFI. Once I get the base map dialed in, could I use the enrichment vs. coolant temp to add a little fuel, or does that enrichment go away once it enters closed loop? We were just thinking we could put a few percent of enrichment in there at the operating temp. Is our assumption wrong?

A newer setup would be great, but it's just not in the cards right now.

I don't think you will be able to add any fuel that way. That is the whole point of closed loop - add fuel over here, and the ecm will just pull it out over there to keep things at 14.7:1. That's why you'll either have to have an O2 signal that lies, or run it in open loop.

John

Back