You can type here any text you want

newbe with turbo monte

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bigbada

i'm not new to the site but now a member. i just picked up an 80 turbo monte, the motor has a bad knock and i'm debating weather to rebuild it or go with an ls1 motor i already have that was going into a different project.i have no experience with turbos so i think the ls1 would be an easier swap,is there any resale value for the the 3.8l turbo motor.thanks:confused:

As far as the resale value go to nada.com and look at for the classic car prices. Each car is different and with more of the older cars dissapearing for what ever reason I'd hate to see another be butchered.

i dont want to sell the car just the turbo motor setup.(maybe)i may rebuild the motor if i can find a rebuild kit for it and upgrade the hp.

i dont want to sell the car just the turbo motor setup.(maybe)i may rebuild the motor if i can find a rebuild kit for it and upgrade the hp.

I think you can rebuild the block and up date to 86-87 GN stuff it would be much easier then going to a LS set up.
On the other hand a turbo LS would be bad assss.
Good luck

I wasn't suggesting you sell it I was saying go see what it's worth. Once you modify it it will be worth less unless you get the right buyer and that sometimes takes a while. As far as making it more powerful start reading and don't stop. Ask a lot of questions and take the info as it comes and decide for yourself.

another turbo car wasted...and it's even more sad cause its a monte.
Why not sell the car to someone that would appreciate it and buy a regular monte with a 4.3 v6. You will be ahead of the game anyway

i'm not new to the site but now a member. i just picked up an 80 turbo monte, the motor has a bad knock and i'm debating weather to rebuild it or go with an ls1 motor i already have that was going into a different project.i have no experience with turbos so i think the ls1 would be an easier swap,is there any resale value for the the 3.8l turbo motor.thanks:confused:

my 2-cents..

when properly tuned, turbo cars are a LOT of fun, more than a V8 IMO, however, they can be very frustrating, especially during the learning curve - as you learn how it all works. I've had both V8 powered Monte's and turbo V6 Regals. Based on my experience, the turbo cars were more fun, but the V8 cars were MUCH less trouble. What you are proposing is a little different however. I looked into putting an LS1 into a Monte SS a while back, and from what I've read, an LS engine will *not* just drop into a G-body, you will have to modify the cross member and there are a few other issues to sort out. If you have the $$$ to actually do the LS swap then you might as well spend the money on rebuilding and updating the engine to an '86/'87 Buick setup.

Rob

my 2-cents..

when properly tuned, turbo cars are a LOT of fun, more than a V8 IMO, however, they can be very frustrating, especially during the learning curve - as you learn how it all works. I've had both V8 powered Monte's and turbo V6 Regals. Based on my experience, the turbo cars were more fun, but the V8 cars were MUCH less trouble. What you are proposing is a little different however. I looked into putting an LS1 into a Monte SS a while back, and from what I've read, an LS engine will *not* just drop into a G-body, you will have to modify the cross member and there are a few other issues to sort out. If you have the $$$ to actually do the LS swap then you might as well spend the money on rebuilding and updating the engine to an '86/'87 Buick setup.

Rob

x2. You'd have a monster sleeper with an 87 setup. Even stock. You can probably find a decent used setup and get some nice mile on it before you have to rebuild.

i guess i'll pull the motor and see what inside.i'v been reading where guys are complaining about having a rod knock and finding out its something else. are these motors known for spun bearings or bad lifters.the knock is very loud and speeds up when you rev the motor, there is no power but it can be driven. how can i check if the turbo is working. can i plug up some of the vacuum lines,i have no clue what they're for...i can throw a sb chevy for the time being and rebuild the 3.8 or should i go with a different turbo motor.

Do some more reading

i guess i'll pull the motor and see what inside.i'v been reading where guys are complaining about having a rod knock and finding out its something else. are these motors known for spun bearings or bad lifters.the knock is very loud and speeds up when you rev the motor, there is no power but it can be driven. how can i check if the turbo is working. can i plug up some of the vacuum lines,i have no clue what they're for...i can throw a sb chevy for the time being and rebuild the 3.8 or should i go with a different turbo motor.

Yes, tear it down first and see what it needs. Yes, if built improperly they have a tendancy to spin the #4 or #5 rod bearing due to lack of oil presure.:eek: I decided to put a 4.1 in mine but I'm still gathering parts. It's a LONG rod combo for better torque off the line. Take the wastegate off the turbo and see if there's any play in it. Some one installed a supercharged 3800 series II in a reagal and it does great. Stock motor and with little prep he's been going 12-11 in the quarter right off the bat. Neet build but a LOT of work.

I saved my 79 from a guy that was gonna put a 400 sb in it. wasn't running right, had a cracked cylinder head and was getting coolant in the oil. I rebuilt the engine and was still able to use all standard specs, (only 46000 mi ) Maybe I got lucky but I expected worse from the white smoke and White oil on the dipstick, but these engines seem to take a lot and still be repairable.:biggrin:

Manyou own a peice of history this car is very very rare dont cut it up or swap another powerplant you could get something with a V8 if thats all you want for cheap the are dime a dozen

how much does a complete 86/87 setup go for?

Look in the for sale section and you should be able to find one. On a side note here's one for you to look at. He did a great job. I'm putting spaces in where . goes so copy/paste it into your browser and put the dots in.
http://www .turbobuicks.com/forums/buick -v6-turbo-tech/73163-my-1980-turbo-monte .html

Back