You can type here any text you want

Nittos or BFG Drag radials?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Not Avg 6

Let me start by saying, I know MT DR's are the BEST. :D I have a set on my Telstars. But I'm looking for a dr for my 17's that I can get a little my street life than with MT's. In the past I heard BFG's hooked a little better but with less life and Nittos had longer life but did'nt hook as well. Are those statements still true? Which do you guys recommend and why?

Thanks

I will tell you from experience that the BFG's SUCK! Switching over the MT's was a night and day difference. My Supra would fishtail hard at 100mph in the high end of 3rd gear in full boost with the BFG's. Now it hooks like flypaper in 2nd and never let's go. If you are putting down big HP, bite the bullet and stick with the MT's because the BFG's on an 1100whp car are downright dangerous.

Keep in mind I run two different sets of wheels. I run my 275/60/15 MT DR's on Telstars when a few friends try to get out of line. And I run my 17's 275/40/17 for car shows and pimping. The tires I'm looking for are for my 17's, I need a little better tire than a normal radial for a little stop light action in between wheel changing. I also have a pretty strong car. :)

you could go with falkens, wear fast but if for some light action but more show then that tires should hook up really good better then the BFGs, but it's whatever you want,word of mouth and facts, looks etc. try looking at tiresavings.com and just checkout what tires you like, most people say tirerack but they never have different types of tires, just whatever is common and cheap. hope this helps.

the BFG's wear out faster than the MT's. the nittos work ok after a LOOOONG burnout. Just get the MT's so that you will always be ready for "you know who" around the corner.

fwiw the mt's actually last quite a long time as long as you dont do block long burnouts.

since you already have a second set of hooks, i would just go with the nittos. They hook just fine for street driviing, and last alot longer than the BFGs. Plus when you get stuck out in the rain on the way home from a show youll be thankful.
Ive ran BFG DRs on my car for a couple years, and had the opportunity to try out the Nittos once, they obviously didnt hook as well, but a good driver knows how to run the throttle! I dont wish the BFG and especially the M/Ts in the rain on anybody, thats a death wish. I am getting a set of nittos for my new rims this summer as well.
BTW, with a good suspension and a quick right foot, i can run low 12s@120+ on a set of 255/60-15 firestone radials, thats what i DD with on my +500whp car. Ive got the timeslips to prove it somewhere too

BTW, with a good suspension and a quick right foot, i can run low 12s@120+ on a set of 255/60-15 firestone radials, thats what i DD with on my +500whp car. Ive got the timeslips to prove it somewhere too

sooo with 500+hp your car ran low 12's. the point of this thread is to help him choose a tire so that he doesnt end up in this scenario.;)

The choice should be between the MT or Nittos period.
MT with the hook advantage
The Nittos have the edge in the rain
If no rain then the MT's all the way

BFG's..... old news and they suc in comparison

the point is that its not all about the tire. And you can go alot faster than you would think with less tire. If everyone needed 12" wide slicks then there wouldnt be people going 7s on a 275 DR.
The point is that even with a Nitto, its still not hard to run a mid-high 11, and drive on it every day, rain or shine with some lifespan. He already stated he has a set of M/Ts, so a nasty tire isnt needed.

And yes with my 500+hp car i ran low 12s@120+. And i did it on a 255 series all season radial that is M+S rated. The car does easy 10s on the DRs, but i wanted to try it out with the crappy tires. I think i could get closer to 12.0@125 now with a couple more upgrades on this crappy tire as well. So laugh it up, im sure you've done alot better
Gary

the point is that its not all about the tire.

please refer to the topic of this thread.

And you can go alot faster than you would think with less tire. If everyone needed 12" wide slicks then there wouldnt be people going 7s on a 275 DR.
The point is that even with a Nitto, its still not hard to run a mid-high 11, and drive on it every day, rain or shine with some lifespan. He already stated he has a set of M/Ts, so a nasty tire isnt needed.

i agree with the above. but...mikes car will never see the rain nor does it get driven more than 5 k a year. Mike also gets into heated grudge races that would require him to have an optimum tire.

And yes with my 500+hp car i ran low 12s@120+. And i did it on a 255 series all season radial that is M+S rated. The car does easy 10s on the DRs, but i wanted to try it out with the crappy tires. I think i could get closer to 12.0@125 now with a couple more upgrades on this crappy tire as well.

irrelevent to the topic as this statement may be, it IS an accomplishment to get a mid ten sec car to run 12's on a regular tire. it is also dangerous and aggravating to the slicked up car in the staging lanes behind you. street tires drag water to the starting line and disturb track prep.

So laugh it up, im sure you've done alot better
Gary

ive done better every single time ive gone to the track. even when i blew a motor at the 1/8th.

enjoy your day sir.

OK, I have a question about the comment made that "if everyone needed 12" slicks, people wouldn't be going 7's on 275 DR's.

I run 275 60 15 Nitto DR's on 10" drag stars. According to the Summit specs, that tire is 27.76" diameter and 11.1 tread width.
The specs on the same size MT ET Street Radial are 28" diameter BUT only 9.2" tread width.
So for the same tire I'm getting almost 2" more tread width with the Nittos???
Wouldn't this be a benefit to using the Nittos over the MT's or are the MT's that much more sticky than the Nittos so the 2" doesn't matter??
OH - the specs for the 325 50 15 MT's are almost the same as the Nitto. 27.9" and 11.0" but I'm betting those wouldn't fit.
I hate it that the same size tire between different manufacturers have different measurements.

I put about 500 street miles (about 10 miles a trip) a year on the car but in S FL rain is a serious issue although I try NOT to take it out if there is a chance. The Nittos are decent in the rain though.

So bottom line is WHICH will give me better traction on the street?

Comments??

I ve used the nittos 450s-work very well,soft compound, hook well and got almost 50K miles out of a set-available in 17s., in fact i have a new set on my new 17 " rims.

how do the nitto DRs perform on the handling aspects? like freeway on ramps and such.

To me they don't handle any different that a regular tire, BUT if the road is wet, I do try and take it careful on ramps. I'm sure they will drift out a lot easier than a regular tire but I haven't had it happen to me. I actually haven't had any wet road problems with Nittos but then I do remember they are there and take it easy.

not avg 6,what kind of power do you have?the bfg's are a good tire and are stickier than the nitto's however the nitto's do last longer.if you are making1100 horses like vegasSE i could see why the tire wouldn't be recommended.i always had good luck with them on a mid 11 second car 1.58 60ft.plenty of passes and burnout with 5000+ miles on the tire.

tlturbo,the 325-50-15 m/t street radial on a 10 inch rim has 11.6 inch contact patch with 13.1 belly to belly.the 275-60-15 m/t and the nitto are comparable in size i think you are confusing section width and tread width.the m/t in a comparable size will hook better than the nitto,they are much softer.hope this helps!

Not sure if this thread is too far off from the origianl question but, I prefer the BFG over the Nitto. Now I run the M/T and that's all I will run.

thanks for the info. they have to be better than the pos tires i got now.

i found a nice deal on ebay for a pair so i bought em. free shipping and from a legit seller.

eBay Motors: 2 NEW 275/60-15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Tires 60R15 R15 60R (item 360039271949 end time May-02-08 10:56:45 PDT)

To me they don't handle any different that a regular tire, BUT if the road is wet, I do try and take it careful on ramps. I'm sure they will drift out a lot easier than a regular tire but I haven't had it happen to me. I actually haven't had any wet road problems with Nittos but then I do remember they are there and take it easy.

How about Hoosier Quick Times

I've heard good results from these (27x15) also but nobody comments about them.

Do these fit in somewhere between the BFG, Nittos and MT's.

Back