No oil in oil filter

oddiesGN

I just installed a new engine in my 1987 grand national and when I went to change the oil I noticed that the oil filter was empty. I filled it up when I filled the car up with oil, but now there is nothing in it. The engine did not knock or anything and I do have oil pressure 50# or so. Does any one know the reason for this.

Its an acdelco pf47, don't know if it has an anti drainback valve. Hows does the anti drainback valve work, is that what I want or don't want?

You want an anti-drainback valve in the filter. Since our oil filters are mounted in the horizontal position, oil will tend to drain out of them after the engine is shut off if you don't have an anti-drainback valve. The PF47 should have one, but that doesn't mean it's not bad and wasn't keeping the oil in the filter as you discovered. There's been talk of poor quality filters these days (you can search the board for threads on this topic). You can always try a different brand filter next time.

empty oil filter

this happens to my 87 gn with 58,000 on it , it has had a new wix's filter with anti drain back and after 7-10 days of sitting it still empty's it out and i get a 2 second start up knock noise until the oil pumps up. i am going to try an ac/delco anti drain back and hope for the best.

I would use WIX or advance AP gold. As for knock noise you could build up oil pressure a bit by crank but not letting ti start up.

My oil cooler is hooked up. I don't remember having this problem before. I did use a different oil filter then I usually use, only used this one to break in the engine. It could be from sitting for a week or so, I had the gas tank out installing new fuel pump and injectors, but I didn't know that you can let it sit for a week and be empty of oil. I changed back to the normal filter that I always use and I'll see if that is the problem.

I had this problem and it turned out that the adapter that the oil filter and cooler lines go into has a small spring and valve on one side and that was not closing all the way. might want to check it. only takes a couple mins.:p

Thanks for all your help, I found the problem, it was my oil filter, it was an anti drainback filter, but it must of been bad, I put on a new filter drove it around let it set for two days without starting and just now checked the filter and it was full. Good thing thats all there was I thought it might have been the adapter for my oil cooler lines since I did have that all off, but its all good now thanks.