No Power off the line

bigballsbilly

Just bought this 87 4 weeks ago and been trying to sort a few things out. When I power brake it takes about 5 seconds for the turbo to spool up to 5 lbs boost, then when taking off the car does a short burnout and accelerates like an 87 Yugo. Eventually when it gets up to about 4,000 rpm the car starts accelerating like expected and boost goes up to 11 lbs.

Car is mostly stock but has a 5.7 TT chip and 60 lb injectors. I have done a spring cleaning, except the plugs which look good. I have replaced all vacuum hoses and the vacuum block. I have a Scanmaster but am not sure what it will tell me that can help me. I read an onlne artical by one of the magazines that they went to the track and couldnt even do a burn out, so they replaced the cam sensor and that fixed the problem.

Where would you guys go from here? I am new to Turbos but not new to hot rodding.

Thanks guys!

You need to find someone local to you that knows these cars. Right now you have a time bomb sitting in your driveway.

My 2800 stall converter took a long time to spool my 6157 turbo. After Dusty restalled it to 3200 burn outs were no problem. Are you sure the turbo is stock? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Hotwire to the fuel pump? Make sure you are not running lean. If you don't know how old the fuel pump is it would be a good idea to change it. Do a search. There is a lot of info on fuel pumps for our cars. There was a bad batch of Walbro pumps about 5 years ago. Serial # ends in 169. I hope you don't have one of those. Personally I bought an XP from Red Armstrong and it works great.

Last edited:
My 2800 stall converter took a long time to spool my 6157 turbo. After Dusty restalled it to 3200 burn outs were no problem. Are you sure the turbo is stock? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Hotwire to the fuel pump? Make sure you are not running lean. If you don't know how old the fuel pump is it would be a good idea to change it. Do a search. There is a lot of info on fuel pumps for our cars. There was a bad batch of Walbro pumps about 5 years ago. Serial # ends in 169. I hope you don't have one of those. Personally I bought an XP from Red Armstrong and it works great.
XP from Red all the way!! And never had to contact him back with any problems on the seven or eight that I have bought over the years.

Thanks for the replies. I had intended to go through the fuel system ASAP. I don't know the age of the fuel pump. But I do have a wideband air fuel system I want to install. A hotwire kit and adjustable fuel reg are also in the near future. I guess the wisebamd is the next step ao I can see if I'm running lean.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

from my experiences Slow spool-up is do to your converter and turbo being mismatched, If the car is mostly stock chances are that a turbo swap/upgrade was done at some point, i would first STOP trying to make boost and find out what parts are on the car.
Take a few pictures of the turbo so that the turbo gurus can help you identify it, then pull the flywheel cover and look for stamped numbers on the converter it self, you can also take pictures of it for color reference.

A pig rich tune will also kill your spool up.
My car use to roll out 50 feet before any boost would come on.

Great. thanks for the help. Now I have some stuff to check. I'll take a pic of the turbo tonight. And tomorrow I'll put in the air at work and check out the converter. Thanks again!

Great. thanks for the help. Now I have some stuff to check. I'll take a pic of the turbo tonight. And tomorrow I'll put in the air at work and check out the converter. Thanks again!

get good shoots of the exhaust housing including any type of markings and the same for the compressor side.
And YES remove the Shield off of the Turbo before taking the pictures.

I had that thought too. Anyone?
You can check your w/gate w/a mighty vac. If indeed you are running a stock turbo, when you remove the down pipe housing, you can check the w/gate puck impression on the turbo exh. housing. You will be able to see if it is sealing properly. Also, spin the turbine w/your finger to see if it turns freely or if it is draging. The bearings could be coked, which will add to the slow boost. As a side note, I had a puck that had fallen down inswide the housing and I ended up using an "e" clip to hold it in it's proper place.
I know it's difficult, but don't try to move forward faster than your knowledge will allow. Many have accomplished such a task only to leave the TR community disgruntled never to return. Knowledge is our power!

LIke manty has mention don't run into boost until you added the upgrade components to prevent from running a lean condition.
Once you have added all and hooked the Scanmaster, warm the engine, post the numbers from the Scanmaster on board as this will help us what else you might need to adjust before boosting, or you will be replacing HG.

Ok, here's some pics of the turbo ans wastegate actuator. In the next few days I'll be able to check out the torque converter.

Also, the turbo spins freely.

Attachments

• 1401837056914.jpg
    1401837056914.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 310
  • 1401837067935.jpg
    1401837067935.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 1401837078408.jpg
    1401837078408.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 1401837090006.jpg
    1401837090006.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 294
  • 1401837101850.jpg
    1401837101850.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 271
What does the single hose off the Y wastegate hose assembly run to.I can see it across the top of the valve cover but not enough picture.

It goes to the wastegate solenoid. Heres a picture.

Does it appear to be a stock turbo?

Attachments

• 1401840102132.jpg
    1401840102132.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 252