!!!!! no start no turn over no crankin what gives?

nero

anyoen know? not even a "click" when i try to start her. doesn't crank or nada! anyone know?!

i had to leave it in a not-so-nice neighborhood!! :( :( :( hope she's there in the AM

helpppppppppppppppppppp

1. No battery - Dead battery.

2. Stater solenoid, shoulda rapped it a bit with a tire iron to see if it could be engaged.

3. Did the headlights work? If so it's probably the starter solenoid or key switch.

Verify you have +12 on the purple wire when the key switch is on at the starter. To do this you need to clip lead a wire to the terminal and get out from under the car when the key is turned to the start position. If it reads +12 then the solenoid is shot and it's not the keyswitch or wiring.
Assuming your big fat red battery cable is good to the other terminal on the starter.

And check the ground wire from the battery to the turbo bracket front of the head area too.

Although my car started and cranked without that wire being on there very tight.

i know the wire going from the pos battery cable to the starter is a lil frayed by hitting the exhaust but she's always started before.... i may have to go back tonight cause i don't want to get vandalized

battery should be ok...headlights, horn, int lights everything electrical worked

After you check the fat red wire to the starter try tapping on the case of the starter with a hammer, bring one with you. :)

Hard but not hard enough to crack the metal case, a few good raps.

Get out from under the car and try to start it.

If that doesn't work use a meter or test lamp and clip a clip lead wire onto the starter where the small ring is with the purple wire on it, that comes from the keyswitch to the starter solenoid and needs to have +12 volts on it when the car is cranked, test light is the best way to read it at night, or use a meter whatever you have available.

I doubt it's the keyswitch, sounds like your frayed fat wire finally bit the dust.

You might be able to start it if you can get a makeshift cable attached safely in there and then take it out when it's running.

Just to get you home that is.

Hope it's not far.

i'm an electrical newb! so i don't have any of those meter or test lamp tools?? but i'm good at wacking ;) so i'll go up n wack the starter a bit... i'm just trying to gather as much info as possible before i step back in the hood =O

yeah, i HOPE it's not the ignition switch 'cause i just chagned the key cylinder a few weeks ago and messing witht he steering area is a PITA!!

not too far, just about 10 blocks down the road...

connecting my jumper wires from battery to starter...good idea? dumb idea? is the starter a PITA to replace? AND LASTLY...the starter is under the pass. side exhaust right? ;)

thanks man!

Yes you can use jumper wires from the battery to the starter assuming you can make the connection down there without shorting everything out.

I would use black tape on most of the clamp part and just leave enough copper to grab onto the stud part.

Hope he's not still there.... ;)

Hello friends!!!

Well I tried hitting the starter but still no-go...same symptoms no click no turning over no nada... so she was just towed to the local firestone... i'm guessing it's that frayed cable and the starter...the starter was quite oily... not sure why i have no oil leak (except for the DRIVER side valve cover over by the oil fill--bad seal on the oilfill) so i'm guessing a combo of the starter and battery cable

the ignition switch i hope is OK, because the other dummy lights come on when i try to crank as supposed to... (if that means anything)

anywhos... i'll see what the "pros" say

thanks for all the help

-nero-

ps- im getting that oil filler/breather thing from kirbans... claims to haev a better seal !

it was the starter folks! got it fixed... i wish i had the balls to tackle electrical ish... i think i'll try to change the pos battery cable sometime this month since it needs to be done--as my first elec. problem....anyways

thanks for the help! TELLING firestone where to go, thanks to the forums, saved me some $$ ..... but not as much as me doing it myself :( anyways

thanks again!

-nero-