You can type here any text you want

Noisy oil pump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gregl

I just did a cam swap and on restart there is a loud ticking coming from the oil pump. It was fine before the swap. I followed the priming procedure. Is it possible to swap out the pump without taking the front cover off again and if so does anyone have instructions on how to do it, where would you recommend I get a new pump.

Thanks.
Greg

What kind of cam thrust button was installed? Spring or shim type? Are you sure it's the oil pump making the noise? Could be the camshaft position sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never heard of an oil pump being loud before. By design I just don't see how it's possible if it's primed and making pressure.

It is possible to drop the filter adapter off and change the pump and/or adapter, but it's generally not recommended. You can get away with it as long as you take the cam sensor out to verify the new pump/gasket combo doesn't cause the pump to lock up. But it's extremely difficult to get the end clearance 'perfect' doing it in the car.

If you get the filter adapter off and find something broken with our pump I can fix you up with new parts if you need me to.

If you are running a steel timing gears & roller chain the noise transmits into the front cover oil pump & cam sensor. That is why the factory uses a plastic timing gear & less aggressive chain.

The timing gears are steel. I pulled the cam sensor turned the oil pump using a priming tool. even turning the pump slow I can hear the ticking.

Time to pull the oil pump. I suspect gears

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you have a noticable tick by turning the pump by hand, That thing needs to get taken apart yesterday!

Done even start it again. When you get it apart, if you find ANY shavings of any kind, disconnect the oil cooler and I'd recommend dropping the pan to look at the oil pickup.

Thanks,
I'll let you know what I find.
any recommendations on where to get a new pump or a rebuild kit?

Last edited:
I had the same issue double check your cam thrust . I actually shimmed my roller cam button and now my no more noise . I bet it's your cam sensors aswell . With the motor on feel the cam sensor see if it is ticking /moving .

Back