You can type here any text you want

Non Lock up transmission

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BOP4ever

I have a line on a lynn Freeman built 200R4 from a friend it is a non lock up unit though ... The guy has it for a spare and offered to sell it to me.
He is running 10's with the same build and another friend is running the same trans and has for years with no complaints... I've never heard of the builder though...
The non lock up he says is not a big deal and I will not miss it.
I guess I am looking for addition feedback on the lock up or non lock up.
Also what would I have to do to convert it back to a lock up ?

A few people posted about having good luck with Len Freeman transmissions in a recent trans builder poll. I did see a post saying he closed up shop though. It's a gamble IMO buying a used tranny. It could ruin a friendship too if it dosent play out right. Set that detent cable wrong and it will die fast! Then you'll be back looking for a builder and spending more money. I went with a trusted local guy. I am happy so far but the car has yet to hit the track. Thing is, he gave me a one year warranty and "if" I have an issue, I can take him the whole car. Hard to do that with a out of state builder. Many have good luck either way.

I really don't know much about what Len builds, but I know the car he runs from the Galina/ Freeman Stables has run 6.92 @ 202mph.

As for your question on non-lock vs lock, heres a couple questions to consider. I think. We have a Art Carr Non-Lock w/ 3200 stall and its things we kinda weighted.

You didn't mention the stall, so I don't really know where you are on that.

How often do you drive the car...Do you do long distance interstate driving?

I asked those questions because, in traffic or town from light to light you wouldn't miss it, but if your out on interstates at high speeds for a while..The higher rev gets annoying after awhile.

Changing it would be changing the converter..unless there's something I don't know about.

Hope it helped alittle...:)

I have a line on a lynn Freeman built 200R4 from a friend it is a non lock up unit though ... The guy has it for a spare and offered to sell it to me.
He is running 10's with the same build and another friend is running the same trans and has for years with no complaints... I've never heard of the builder though...
The non lock up he says is not a big deal and I will not miss it.
I guess I am looking for addition feedback on the lock up or non lock up.
Also what would I have to do to convert it back to a lock up ?

To answer your question about going from lock-up to non lock-up, there are two things you need to do. First of all, the obvious....the torque converters are different so that will need to be changed. Also, there is a valve that has to be replaced from lock-up style to non lock-up style.

Other than that, as already mentioned....you will miss the lock-up feature on the freeway but not in city driving.

Hope this helps.

Bill

I am looking for a 2800 or so stall for my TE44 I plan to put in it.
The car is 90% street and mostly 55 mph 2 lane but we do go long distance on occasion.
Goals are to have a low 11 second car one day that can drive anywhere.

I am looking for a 2800 or so stall for my TE44 I plan to put in it.
The car is 90% street and mostly 55 mph 2 lane but we do go long distance on occasion.
Goals are to have a low 11 second car one day that can drive anywhere.

Stay with the LU unit for 11's & hiway driving IMO.

Back