non-turbo crankshaft

T

turbochargedgnx

can a non turbo crankshaft be used in a 87 turbo block.? ...simple question,i lost out on my bid on e-bay for a turbo crankshaft...guy came in and bid with 35 seconds left...high bid was $62 and i bid $102 and figured i would win.i WAS high bid til last 32 seconds.bummed out here

1. WILL A NON TURBO CRANK HANDLE HIGH 12'S

2.ANY BENEFIT TO CUT THE GROVES LIKE A TURBO CRANK,OR WOULD THAT WEAKEN THE CRANK
(i know there pressed on a turbo)

3. BALANCER AND FLYWHEEL WOULD WORK?

:confused:

Not reliably. If you run into detonation OR try to up the boost dramatically, you might be on the losing end again. Its not worth wasting an entire engine because you dont want to spend the money for a good turbo crank.

If you "cut" the grooves it will make the NA crank even weaker...The fillets must be pressure rolled, it's kind of like a forging process that makes the crank stronger...

Check with some of your local automotive machine shops and see if they have any Buick 3.8L cranks in stock...If they have the cranks in stock, then have them visually check and see if any of them have the pressure rolled fillets on the rod journals...A lot of the machine shops don't even know there is a difference in the cranks...The first one I bought, I paid $155 dollars for a 010/010 crank finished...The second one was also finished 010/010, but I paid $200 for it...

Just check around, they are out there...You just need to look for them...

non turbo crank reply

Hello,
I have ran both turbo, turbo T/A and non turbo cranks and the turbo T/A crank was the best. Hyd. rolled fillets makes them really hard, and not as easily dammaged by contamination(dirt, metal pieces). The turbo T/A crank has rolled fillets, and factory cross drilled main lournals.
My friend runs a 12 sec naturally aspirated 1984 buick v-6 and twists it 8000 rpm + but he has aluminum rods. This is his 3rd non turbo crank that broke in 1/2. Also by the way, I have an old turbo T/A crank that im lookin to get rid of.

im looking for a $150 turbo crank....if i must...il pay $200...but im realy cutting into the vacation fund for july and wifffy will kill me.

10/10 or 20/20 thats fine

Just consider how much a rod thru the side of the block will cut into things. :) That kinda thinking always helps the perspective.

Hi Tom,

FWIW and based only on my wifes Blue T I have run 11.48@114 with a non turbo crank and no caps and car has run many many 12 second runs without any problems (knock wood)....lol.

As my motor man says as long as you dont detonate you'll be fine, now keep in mind my wifes car is not a daily driver and is always filled with 116 leaded.

Anyway just wanted to toss ya the experience I have with the wifes car and hope that helps and best of luck to you.

Regards,

that last post makes it tempting to try a non turbo crank...but in my mind i know i should use a turbo,i gotta wait for a good turbocrank,and fork up the cash.