non-turbo engine block?

got rice?

does anyone know if non-turbo V6 regal engine blocks are the same as the turbo regals?if so what years are the same,and if none,can any be modified to work? just wondering if i could keep the V6 block out of my 85 regal as a spare for my GN.

non turbo block

well the 109 is supposed to be a high nickle block. I hear they are the strongest of the 6 bangers. But I rode in a 140 block used in a turbo application today & it was sweeet. Pulled hard. Oil return was punched & had a turbo crank, rods, etc.

It doesnt have a turbo crank or the 1/2" oil retuen hole that you can drill and tap yourself- put a turbo crank in it and you have a turbo block.

I have run N/A blocks and cranks well into the 11's. The only thing you need to change for a low HP street motor is rods and pistons. I run the oil return to the pan. If your lucky it's a 20bolt. Some people like them better.

yeah i assumed the rotating assembly would be differnt. bare block is all im concernd with and if strength is the same. i'll have to read up on that link from weber too. thanks guys

mweber said:
There is no difference in the metallurgical difference between a NA 109 block and a turbo 109 block. There was actually no detectable nickel in either one.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/blocks/blockguide.html

If anybody has samples of other blocks I can get the metallurgical analysis done on them.

Mike
Aye, I also can get this done if you are closer to me. just need about a .25" square section for the Scanning Electron Microscope.

109 blocks have the head bolt thread sunk deep below the deck surface and were intended to be used with TTY headbolts and composite head gaskets. Blocks previous to 1986 had the head bolt threads extend right up to the deck surface, used standard head bolts and steel shim gaskets.

The valley area of the 109 block is flat and better reinforced that the previous design blocks. There is no difference between a NA 109 block and a turbo 109 block except the oil drainback hole.

Production connecting rods are all the same with 3.8 and 4.1 engines. Pistons were obviously different.