noob need to lean out 6 gen dfi

big blue

I would appreciate any help you guys could give me,I was refered to this site by norbs.I have a gen 6 dfi that seems to be running way too rich(smell raw fuel and small back fire pops from the exaust)and I just need to get it running good enought to get it to AZ.TPI for tuning.I have tried all the different base fuel maps to no avail.

Is there a way to lean it out without having to chang every value on the fuel map :confused:

With some details on your car I might be able to give you a base fuel map that will make it a little more driveable. Send me an email if you're interested.

John

What size injectors are you using? You need to email your files to these guys above they will help you out!

JDEstill said:
With some details on your car I might be able to give you a base fuel map that will make it a little more driveable. Send me an email if you're interested.

John

I know this is a Buick site ,but no one any where knows about the things.

The engine is a L29 vortec 454 big block,with a mild cam(sorry no specs)

I don't know what the injector size is and I can't see them,they are under the plenum.

I talked to a guy at the shop that installed the dfi and he suggested the I drop all of the values 10 points and see if it changes any thing.

He also suggested that I change the O2 sensor

What do you guys think ?

Not knowing the injector size makes it tough... but it does actually run you say? If so give me a cell to start from - MAP, rpm, and the base fuel map value from a point where it is running (and warmed up, so any of the startup/warmup enrichments are gone) - and I'll generate something from that. Won't be good, but might be a better starting point than what you have now.

In the meantime, I wouldn't just drop the whole map by 10. At idle this might be a big change, but up higher this might not be much of a change at all. A better strategy is to change it by some %. I'd start off by dropping 10% from all the cells, so if a cell has a value of 10 it would go to 9, while a cell with a value of 90 would go to 81. That will keep the shape of the map, the fuel curve if you will, constant. Assuming you started off with a curve that worked well in another similar car then you won't lose that curve by fiddling with it. If you just add or subtract a given value across the board, then you are changing the shape of the curve, making it a lot richer or leaner at one end while not doing much to the other end.

I don't know if the DFI6 has a provision to change the entire base fuel map by a given %, someone else might know that. If not you can change the just the cells where it is trying to idle, and once it is idling ok figure up the % change it took to do that, then apply that to the rest of the map, then see how it runs in those areas.

Are the injectors stock GM for this engine perhaps? Or are they aftermarkets that someone installed before you owned it? Or you really have no idea, could be anything?

John

I was gonna say, if it is actually running, I would think that you can change the idle cells by 50% or less to get it to clean up. I don't know what the richest a/f ratio you can have and still get it to idle, but lets say it's running at something like 9:1.
Drop the base fuel map value by 10% and that will get you to 10:1
Another 10% takes you to 11.1:1
Another 10% gets you to 12.3:1
the next step gets you to 13.7:1
and another step gets you to 15.2:1
Somewhere between those last two steps your eyes should have stopped watering. :) If you were starting from something like 8:1, or even richer, then maybe it takes a few extra steps, but you'll still get there.

John

Thank you

I most likely won't have time to mess with it till this weekend

I found a new O2 sensor I had sitting around for my Vette,I'll try that too

Is there a way to turn down the enrichment at idle??

It seems to run ok above idle.

For a mild 454, they could be 30# or 36# injectors. My 455 has 36# injectors, so you are probably in that ballpark, depending on the "mildness" of your cam & setup.

On the DFI6, can you easily change the injector size in the software? If you increase the injector rating in the software (say, from 36# to 40#) it will use a shorter pulsewidth (assuming there is no closed-loop O2 control).

-Bob C.

bobc455 said:
For a mild 454, they could be 30# or 36# injectors. My 455 has 36# injectors, so you are probably in that ballpark, depending on the "mildness" of your cam & setup.

On the DFI6, can you easily change the injector size in the software? If you increase the injector rating in the software (say, from 36# to 40#) it will use a shorter pulsewidth (assuming there is no closed-loop O2 control).

-Bob C.

The Gen 6 doesn't use an injector constant so unfortunately that isn't an option here. One axis of the fuel table is MAP, but it isn't a speed/density system. The numbers entered in the map correlate directly to injector pulsewidth. In other words, a 100 entered into a cell at 2000 RPM and 40 kPa would yield the same injector pulsewidth as a 100 in a cell at 7000 RPM and 250 kPa.

IIRC the values used in the Gen 6 fuel table range from 0 to 255, and each increment will raise the injector pulsewidth by 128 microseconds, yielding a max pulsewidth of 32.768 milliseconds. Much like the Alpha-N mode found in FAST systems.

Forget about tuning it urself

Just put it on a trailor and get it over to the tuners. If its that rich all ur doing is dumping fuel into the oil, and we all know that aint good. Let the experts straighten it out.

It'll have to be a big trailor

truck4-1.jpg

so what ever happened with this thing? Did you get it running better?

John

Well when bought the truck the guy told me it ran perfect till the DFI burnt.
And it might have.

I removered the air intake the other day to check some of the wiring and when I started it a loud sucking sound came from the throttle body.For my past experience indicated vacume leak.So I sprayed the intake and the engine picked up and evened out.After removing the intake I found this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/minemine/intake006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/minemine/intake005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/minemine/intake004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/minemine/intake003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/minemine/intake002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/minemine/intake001.jpg

This is why you never want to ground your engine though an aluminum intake.I was able to get a used intake for a $100 and $40 for gaskets.

It runs alot better now,I pretty sure it just needs a proper tuning now.

Thanks for all your help guys
Mike Jr.