You can type here any text you want

Noobie question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qwksht

New to the gn scene and was wondering if anyone could answer a question?I just recently bought the car,have the motor @ the machine shop and decided to go through the car a little bit,took off the access panel on the passenger side,removed the computer and opened the access to the chip,the chip in there says THRASHER on it...Any one know what it is?Also i have white injectors...did not get any numbers off of them before it went to the builder...dumbass..not sure what size they are...LOL...Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!:biggrin:

Thrasher chips were designed by Thrasher Engineering which now deals only with the Supercharged 3800's. If you look on the chip it should say what size Injectors it is for. It should be pretty close to the size injectors you have.

I will have to remove the chip to read it...How do i go about it with out breaking it? And what is the smaller chip on the right for?

if you dont mind me asking what shop is build you motor. Not everyone can build a turbo buick motor corretly

o as far as getting it out its tight on the left side but just use a small screw driver and pri up alittle and rock it back in forth and it will come out. it will take some work but it will come out.

Lift up gentley on each end of the black chip carrier. They come out pretty easy. I think the other chip you see is part of the computers main board.

Excellent guys,i am gonna pull it out tommorrow when i get home from work,The motor is being built @ lorenzos fast flow cylinder heads,hulmeville,Pa.....they just did another local guys motor,and has done many of the 3.8 turbo motors.

just making sure. i have seen alot of pissed of people from motors that where built by people that say they know these motors.

I pulled the chip tonight and it looks like it says, 92 octane,blue top injectors...I am guessing the injectors in my car dont match the chip,they are white,but did not pull the fuel rail from them to check the tops...Sorry for the lack of knowledge,but,i am learning every day thanks to you guys and this forum!!!;)

Blue tops were the first 36 lb/hr injectors available, from a Ford application. Nowadays I think there are 2 or 3 different brands of 36's, and the originals are no longer made, so don't sweat the white vs. blue, check the numbers. The big chip in the carrier is the eprom that holds some code and all the tuning data tables, this is what you buy to match your injectors. Gently pry up on each end and it will work its way out. Look at the legs, they are wider on one side than the other, and one end has a big notch that matches the little notch in the end of the chip in the carrier. That's all so you can't put it in backwards and let the magic smoke out. The little chip is also specific to the turbo cars (the normally aspirated models that used the same ecm got a different one) and is used when in backup fueling mode, when the check engine light is flashing very fast. No one makes any different little chips, so if you move to injectors bigger than about 40 lbs/hr don't run the engine in this mode or you will rapidly fill the oil with gasoline and start wearing out the rings.

I am kinda confused,if i run bigger than 40lb injectors and the correct chip for the injectors(40lbs)I can damage the motor with too much fuel?What is needed to run bigger than 40's? Thanks for all the info guys!!!

I am kinda confused,if i run bigger than 40lb injectors and the correct chip for the injectors(40lbs)I can damage the motor with too much fuel?What is needed to run bigger than 40's? Thanks for all the info guys!!!

Only if you get an eprom error and go into backup fueling mode - that's when the check engine light will be flashing very fast. Sometimes an eprom pin or a pin in the socket can get bent a little and not make contact. Don't worry about it unless you see that very fast flashing - then just get the motor shut down as soon as it's safe.

Excellent,now i understand,Thanks for all the helpfull info,i will be going to the machine shop next week,i am gonna get some numbers off of the injectors and try to figure out what they are.

Back