Normal Fan

GNJOE

I have a 87 gn. What is the normal operation of the fan. Mine comes on after I turn the car off. It runs for a while and then turns off. Is this normal?:confused:

From what I have gathered, as long as it shuts off, yes...

I have read a few posts where it doesn't shut off, and was traced to a bad relay.

Mine, on the other hand, has never continued to run after I shut it off... Even when hot.

You will find many here that have hooked up a switch to "Assume Control" of the fan functions... Auto/On/Off.

But, yours is not a problem!

If the sensor detects 210-220 water temp with the motor off, it will automatically turn the fan on for approx 10 minutes or so. This is normal

HTH's
Happy Holidays
Bob

Thanks for the info. I am now concerned that the car would be that hot after only running for 20 minutes or so in 40 degree weather. Maybe by thermostat needs to be changed or the radiator flushed.

Sounds like you need to check the sensor first, but flushing the coolant is never a bad idea.

In other words, find out if your car is really getting that hot!

If I remember correctly, there are 2 temp sensors. One for engine management (ECM) and one strictly for fan operations? Maybe a search on this board will sort this out...

Good Luck!

If I remember correctly, there are 2 temp sensors. One for engine management (ECM) and one strictly for fan operations?

don't forget the one for the idiot light....