Nothing Lasts Forever!

In addition to the above, the good book of Buick suggests :
- Replace IAC gasket
- Clean the throttle body bore
- Check injector balance
- Check TPS volts .36 - .44 (need a scan master)
- check crank sensor for contact with interupter. if signs of contact replace sensor
- Reset IAC while motor operating temp at by:
- start engine & run for 10-15 seconds then shut off for 30 seconds;
- start engine, engine in gear, AC off check IAC count on scanner. If less than 25 replace IAC.

In addition to the above, the good book of Buick suggests :
- Replace IAC gasket
- Clean the throttle body bore
- Check injector balance
- Check TPS volts .36 - .44 (need a scan master)
- check crank sensor for contact with interupter. if signs of contact replace sensor
- Reset IAC while motor operating temp at by:
- start engine, engine in gear, AC off check IAC count on scanner. If less than 25 replace IAC.

I guess you"re telling me that after 21 years, I have to do more than change the oil and wash it :( :) . I'll start with buying the scan master. Can you recommend a source for a new IAC and TPS? Thanks

What chip are you running? If stock, which one?

It's an old Kenne Bell chip I bought about 20 years ago when these cars were new. What do you recommend for 93 octane and a stock motor?
I'm overdue for an upgrade.

Hey Joe, it's been a while... Try CARS INC (oldbuickparts.com) for the IAC. I don't know if they will have it, but if they do they are local. Just a short drive to Neshanic Station. I'd say you could try my scanmaster on for size but I hard wired it in. Let me know if I can stop by on duty one day to help you out. ;)

If it was mine I would start with vac lines. Don't bother with cleaning the IAC, go to the dealer and buy a new one and be done with it. Might wanna pull the throttle body off and clean the passages while you are at it. If that don't work I would definitely say it's the MAF. Mine did pretty much the same thing and then it wouldn't idle. Then it started to hesitate when I would try to move it around, it just got worse from there. I'd be surprised if it is anything else; well possible fuel delivery issue, but I'm sure you would feel that when you're driving it.

if the car is dying on you I am sure its giving a code, just simple jump the ALDL under the radio with a paper clip and watch for number of check engine light blinks, the 1st code will be code 12 which tells you the ECU is in diagnose mode, then after that cound blinks of check engine light and look up the code for example there will be a pause between the blinks of check engine light, write up the times of blinks lets say it did it 3 times in a row write down number 3 then it will pause and start again, lets say it did it 4 times in a row then write down the number 4 next to 3 and whalla u got code 34, look it up and that will tell you exactly where your problem is going to be, sometimes you will get multiple codes, every code gets repeaded 3 times, then it goes back to code 12 when its done throwing out all the codes, I am sure if you did a search on here or go to GNttype.org you will find a list of all the mal codes and directions in how exactly this is done, sounds to me like IAC motor not doing its job.

Follow link below it tells exactly what to do and it list all the codes so you can look them up, there is really no need for scantool for looking up the codes. :)

Good luck

Malfunction Codes Reference

+1

Kenne Bell chips run too much timeing for pump gas.

Been running on that KB chip for 20 years with no issues but not opposed to making a change. After all it is 2008 ! It owes me nothing but is the TurboTweak street chip you guys are recommending good for a bone stocker?

The KB chips use the stock timing curve in their street chips. Gas was better back then. Almost all modern chips these days use less timing. Kind of the same with race chips. 12 years ago when everyone was cranking timing into their chips, I was taking it out of mine and telling people to turn the boost up.

Usually less timing is better.

Just clean I iac up with some carb cleaner reinstall and relearn then your problem will be fixed and this post can die !:D

Clean the seat in the throttle body where the IACV goes into as well, don't overtorque it putting it back in either or you will crack the case. :eek: ;)

It's one of the more robust parts on the car so I doubt yours is bad at 24K miles, and the years shouldn't matter, unless water got into somehow or the connector and plug are corroded. Check for that as well.

The Kenne Bell chip can be a bit rich too and foul the thing out since I used one for 10 years and had that problem a time or two. :p

If the pintle isn't damaged or overworn, doubt it, then clean and replace.

And most definately upgrade to a TURBOTWEAK chip AND scanmaster ASAP.

Your car will appreciate them. :biggrin: