You can type here any text you want

Now Car won't Stay Running

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jas89TTA

Alright, I just put the altanator back on the car and now it will not stay running WTF? It fires up for about 2-3 seconds and then shuts off. I've rechecked to make sure I pluged the connector back in and checked to make sure I have the wires back on the alt terminal (Have three there) and the Mass sensor is pluged back in. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I show to have oil pressure on the gauge, I assume I have spark and fuel since it fires up and runs for a few seconds. It started up fine on Saturday and then I took the alt off. put it back on and now it won;t stay running :(

Do you have fuel pressure. Maybe you disconnected the hot wire kit?? There should be an extra o-ring on the back of the alt for fuel pump hotwire.

I checked it and I can here the pump prime up and I show pressure with the gauge. I pulled the #2 wire off the coil pack and it's got spark. I unpluged the connector in the back of the alt and it does the same thing could this mean anything :confused: Like maybe the alt is bad? I did not change the battery out yet so I still have the same battery in it.

Ok, I just put a screw driver on the back of the terminal on the alternator where the hotwire and all are and it don't get any sparks. Now from I past exp it should have :rolleyes: so I'm gona guess that I have no juice at that terminal right? Now what I'm confused on is I have fuel pressure and can here the pump prime up and the car will run for 2-3 seconds I thought if there was no power at that terminal that it would not get fuel?

The fuel pump runs off the battery. Hence why when you just turn the car to "run", the fuel pump turns on.

Jason

You should be testing using a voltmeter. Or minimum quality test light.

You need a fuel pressure guage on the fuel rail, and you need to monitor voltage once it starts up.

You do not need an alternator on the car for it to run. You need an alternator to charge your battery. See if you disconnected the belt.. the car would stay running.

Try reseting your chip.. unplug ecm plug by battery.. wait a few seconds.. plug it back in. Now fire car back up and use your scanmaster to tell you whats not working.

If you have good fuel pressure, battery at least 12volts.. it should stay running. Unless something going on. Like an antitheft chip, losing fuel pressure, etc.

Thanks, Guys for the help. I don't have access to a volt meter or test light right now. I do have a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and I do have pressure. I've already unpluged the ECM plug to reset and still no change. The only thing I see that's not right is the screwdriver to the alternator terminal not sparking. I know it's not the correct way but I tried it and nothing happens. Now I have hit it before on this car a few years back with steel braided line by mistake and it sparked and cooked the line. If there's no power there for the wires on it wouldn't this cause the problem I'm having? Everything was fine until I put the alternator back on. I had it rebuilt by a shop here in town. Thanks, Jason

I did not find any I checked and they looked good. It dosen't loose fuel pressure for the short time it runs. If it was a vats problem it would not turn the motor over and start right? I went ahead and put in a new battery and still no change. I'm at a loss with it right now.

I have a spare ECM but I'm running 72# injectors and the ECM in the car has the driver mod for them and the other one does not. Can you still use it? I just cant think of what would allow the car to start-up and run and then just die even with giving it throttle it makes not difference. It won't stay running :mad:

Problem Fix. Turned out the chips anti-theft was armed. I had a Turbotweak chip but KDK installed a Extender chip when it was there and the anti theft was on. Thanks, for all the help. Jason

Your not the first.:biggrin:

I thought I armed the anti-theft mode but put it in valet mode instead. Took me a few to figure out why the car cut out a 3k rpms and wouldn't go over 45mph.:D

If you have good fuel pressure, battery at least 12volts.. it should stay running. Unless something going on. Like an antitheft chip, losing fuel pressure, etc.

Ahh..go buy good test light and voltmeter
:wink:

Back