Now I see why people sell these cheap. Help!

I am also in the line to burn my 87 t type fresh motor has a lean code on the turbo link program but is blowing put black smoke .Resently went to had it appraised and that made me happy till driveing home and it died.put new altanator on it and found that i had burnt the wire to battery. So npw the thing wont idel at all and wont rev over 3000 with out sounding almost like it is on a 2step.Everyone tells me it is close but the only thing this thing is close to is ebay.Never has been right since was new only has 55 miles on new motor. I am at my witts end any help will be appriciated

Anyone want to weigh in on the cam sensor question, being possibly 180 out?
It will start o.k. On the street, you probably won't notice a whole lot of difference. At the track you will have slow times all over the place. I agree with Murph. If you aren't 180 out, and for Pete's sake just change it 180 or sell the friggin car. Next, drop the plug gap to .028.

Well, finally got around to messing with this POS again - the cam sensor appeared to be triggering @ 25 deg ATDC for compression/power stroke - yikes - so pulled it out, spun it 180 now the damn thing won't even start.

Correct me if I am wrong - isn't this thing supposed to tell the ECM whe to pulse the injectors, and it should do it 25 ATDC on intake - right??

The plugs appeared fine also. Sorry I didn't see some of the other posts from up top. The car smells rich @ idle, but my friends car (which runs fine) does too. We talked about it being that way since he put the TT chip in it.

There's got to be something stupid going on here...and it can't be just me...lol

Also, the balancer was -retightened with an impact gun. Trust me, it's tight. The crank sensor is new and there is no contact being made with it and the ring.

Well, finally got around to messing with this POS again - the cam sensor appeared to be triggering @ 25 deg ATDC for compression/power stroke - yikes - so pulled it out, spun it 180 now the damn thing won't even start.

Correct me if I am wrong - isn't this thing supposed to tell the ECM whe to pulse the injectors, and it should do it 25 ATDC on intake - right??

You can't just spin the cam sensor 180 degrees.
You have to go through the entire process of setting it.

I follow Kevin. Point is, when using a compression tester to bring the car to TDC compression - that's where I could visually see the sensor was triggering.

If I am not mistaken, it is supposed to fire the injectors 25 degrees ATDC on the intake stroke. Therefore, if it was triggering at 25 deg ATDC on the power side, it would be 180 out.

It appeared visually this was the case, so I thought spinning it 180 would fix the problem. Not.

To the letter. Exactly that way. Car fired right up and runs great - see above.

However, today brought it to TDC compression, and there was the sensor lining right up with the slot in the wheel, as if it was firing @ 25 deg ATDC power stroke.

I would drop the car to Otto if he is only 5 hours away, leave it with him for a week so he can take his time & go thru everything for you.

Update!

Reset the came sensor (again)(3rd time) as per the instructions on GNTtype.org -

The damn thing is running just fine now. 15 psi and no knock whatsoever.

I am really hoping this is not some intermittent problem that just decided to take the day off!!!

Thanks for all the help everyone, especially those that listened to my whining. The TR community has to be one of the best. You guys kept me trying and gave a lot of good pointers.

Our local TR/GN club is going to the track 9/12. hopefully I will have it tuned really well and can enjoy it for a change, instead of fixing it!

Were is track rental? Lancaster or Empire? I would be interested in going. Phil.

Track

From what I am told, it's Leister 1/4 mile (cool) but only one lane (uncool) - they wanted another $300 to have both. Larry has stepped up and rented it @ $600 hoping we have 10 cars- i.e. $60 a piece - which is awesome. i have like 5 guys that are in for $60 but they all really want some heads up racing in TWO lanes. Larry is the man, I'm not saying anything negative; but I bet we could book the track for BOTH lanes and still not lose money.