You can type here any text you want

O2 cross counts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

VadersV6

the cc's for my o2 used to ramp up pretty quickly and cycle fast. Now its really sluggish and moves up really slowly...like up 1 number increment a second. Is this a sign of a slow responding o2 sensor? reason is, my mileage has taken a turn for the worse again, and I even have the right rear end in it now with the right gears. Im getting 14mpg, and i used to get 16 with the 4.11's.

should cycle to 255 in less than 90 sec
i look for 12-20 jump each frame

if your running octane boosters or leaded race gas they dont last

Its definetely not moving that fast. far from it. Does this mean my o2 is going south?
I never ran race gas or octane boosters, but I did go through 4 bottles of fuel injector cleaner. Would that do it?

that all depends on what chemicals were in that inj cleaner....

in general i think most would agree that a significant CC drop and milage drop, could indicate an 02 going south....its really an easy and cheap fix, buy a new one from whoever (i like denso's) vs bosch and ac delco, as they are the same price after shipping costs...but any will do...install it in minutes, and start er up, if you get good CC's right away, you know your answer......

I should have explained myself a little better. the cross counts move very slowly at idle...like 1-3 numbers per frame. Once Im cruising they move very rapidly, like 30-50 per frame. Should idle CC's move quickly too?

sometimes at idle its hard to get the o2 warmed up enough tto be active , so cc will slow . if it moves while cruising its active but that doesnt mean its accurate.

also some chips have a open loop idle and dont react to O2 sensor at idle and dont do the rich/ lean adjusting so SM will show almost no cross count because its not crossing back and forth as it would in closed loop

That is true, but I dont have the extender set to open loop idle. I just read somewhere that cc's should ramp at 15-20 per frame. i dont know if this was this particular guy's car or a fact for everyone.

VadersV6 said:
the cc's for my o2 used to ramp up pretty quickly and cycle fast. Now its really sluggish and moves up really slowly...like up 1 number increment a second. Is this a sign of a slow responding o2 sensor? reason is, my mileage has taken a turn for the worse again, and I even have the right rear end in it now with the right gears. Im getting 14mpg, and i used to get 16 with the 4.11's.
VaderV6,
What was the resolution to this?

If I were to give you a complete answer, it would be really long winded. Lets just say I fixed many electronic/electrical problems, vacuum leaks, injectors...on and on and on. Ive fixed more things than I can count, and still have a long way to go.
As far as the O2's go, I'd say the things that had the biggest impact, was replacing the drivers side header, (had a crack since I bought it but made no noise until the last month or so) replacing the turbo exhaust collector gasket, and switching to a Bosch O2 sensor. I had a new Delco one on it at that time, and it was pretty sluggish and always had been. The Bosch one moves like 50-60 per frame on the scanmaster while the Delco moved like 2-3. But, Ive noticed as the sensor has aged, that it moves slowly when Ive been driving for awhile. When its warming up it moves about 60 per frame. (according to that post above, since its cold, it shouldnt be very active, but thats when its most active) When it heats up, sometimes it moves like 30-40 per frame and other times it will just sit there. Ive been getting a rich code lately, so I think its time to replace it. Ive noticed that sometimes the O2's get stuck in the 800's while stuck in traffic. It will just stay there in the 800's for like 15 minutes and eventually I get a rich code. If I shut the motor off and restart it, the o2 millivolts will be fine. Its weird.
But, given that I dont run race gas with lead, I'm perfectly happy with the Bosch one. Its just way way more active. I wish Buick wouldnt have put that sensor in such a retarded place.

Back