You can type here any text you want

Odd cam question...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

I see in cam adverts, where they mention that "This cam will need a 3000 or higher." Now, is this with or without a ported, polished and port matched heads/intake combo?
My main question is, is if your heads and intake suck (are in factory cond.) will running a bigger cam even make that much of a difference? I was told "no, not really" by a handfull of people here. 2 of which were head porters. So then, what would it matter what my stall is, if the top end's still gonna flow the same anyways?

I ask because, I think my engine builders gonna throw a decent sized cam in there, for my heads/intake to grow into. But until then, will my low end suffer on the street? I'm going to be running a 10 2800 NL from ptc.

The larger cam moves the rpm range up. The higher stall converter will keep the engine in that higher rpm range.

So how would, say a 212/212 go with a ta61 and 2800 10" non lock? Am I guessing that the cam is a touch too much for the street?

What are all your options? V6's dont run huge cams anyway. Unless their largest grind is something ridiculous, go with the largest.

So how would, say a 212/212 go with a ta61 and 2800 10" non lock? Am I guessing that the cam is a touch too much for the street?
Its a waste imo. The various 212 comp cam grinds shouldnt be considered till the engine will make enough power to push the car to 130+ in the quarter. Not going to happen with stock heads and 10" converter. With a 9.5" NL and 35psi boost you might be able to get it in the sweet spot with the 212 but a no go with the stock heads. What you have suggested is a mis match of parts imo. For the 212 to really work better than a stock cam or a 206 or similar the engine speed needs to be between 5000 and 5700 with a lot of boost. It will not make more power than smaller cams below 5000rpm. Using it will just narrow the powerband of the engine and hurt performance. The best e.t's/mph ive ran with 212 on an iron headed engine the engine was between 5100 and 5700 for over 95% of the entire pass. The data logs indicated the highest duty cycle right around 5000-5100 rpm. Boost was 28-29psi. Its not too much for the street but too much for your engine with its current parts

Here is my recommendations and input.

1 Will this cam increase performance on stock heads?

Yes the cam will help. The real issue is combination.

Head y will flow z with cam lift x and cam duration w.

If you change y, x, or w you will affect z. The amount of affect to z will be determined by the amount of change to y, x or w. So bascially this means is that if you change x, y or w by them selves or in any combination you will still be limited by the item you have not changed. The old addage the chain is only as strong as its weakest link applies to the flow of air into and out of the engine.

The moral to my ranting is that matching your components gets the maximum out of each component. Doing 1 may / will help however you will not necessarily get the best bang for your buck so to speak.

My recommendation, decide a goal. Match components to meet that goal with some leeway either way. Then you get a matching system that will work well together and you can just go and have fun.

As I was. Its a 210/210, not a 212/212. Any difference in opinions now?
And what do you guys think about the 206/210 cam?

Back