Off the line performance...

S

speedy1320

I'm curious about my WE-4 vs other turbo regals. My street car from a Dead Stop, Punching it......rolls the car about 20 feet THEN the car Smokes the tires {posi too}.

It seems to me, when I owned one of these cars Brand New in 87 that off the line had more UMPH and the car would break the tires loose off the line. {No power braking}

Tell me how your street turbo car behaves....I am a little bewildered.

Thanxs

Tom:rolleyes:

87WE-4, larger inj's. Chip, adj WG, 3"DP, ATR Exhaust,160Therm., K&N

My car does the same exact thing. From a dead stop, floored, nothing happens then about 15-20 mph the tires break loose till for about 40 feet or so. Then im just pinned back into the seat. Anyone else?

until the turbo gets going, all you got is a 231 cu in V6......if you enjoy spininng tires, just build a little boost before letting off the brake

Originally posted by speedy1320
I'm curious about my WE-4 vs other turbo regals. My street car from a Dead Stop, Punching it......rolls the car about 20 feet THEN the car Smokes the tires {posi too}.

It seems to me, when I owned one of these cars Brand New in 87 that off the line had more UMPH and the car would break the tires loose off the line. {No power braking}

Tell me how your street turbo car behaves....I am a little bewildered.

Thanxs

Tom:rolleyes:

87WE-4, larger inj's. Chip, adj WG, 3"DP, ATR Exhaust,160Therm., K&N

If you have a stock turbo and have the car properly tuned there is no reason why it shouldn't fry the tires in the first 5 feet or so. With the setup I was running last year, TA49, 50's, V4 and stock D5 convertor I could fry street tires from almost a dead stop. The car maybe rolled 2 or 3 feet before they lit up and then would spin right up to 50mph.

Let us know your entire setup including whose chip, what inj's FP setting and anything else and maybe we can help you get it tuned up so it'll fry 'em at will.

Hey c&cgn, I was wondering if you could help me with the same question as posted above. My car wont spin the tires from a dead stop for the life of it. Even when im rolling around 10-15 and mat it all I can get is a chirp from the tires. I have a feeling something is not right but I have no clue what it is. All my mods are listed in my signature. Also I do not have a fuel pump hot wire kit and I know that is holding me back but do you think it will do it that much? Thanks!

Slow spool is usually a function of too much fuel rather than not enough. If a car is rich on the bottom it may take until the top of first gear until the turbo spools and it makes more hp than it uses.

Your fuel being too rich as UNGN said may be part of the problem, but the chip you are running will also affect turbo spool.
I am running a TA-51 (don't believe everything you read this turbo spools!) bluetops,V4, alcohol,THDP and a BSTC which helps alot I think along with a Red 100 chip and I can fry them almost Immediatly...keep looking you will find the cause.

Originally posted by Cakes
Hey c&cgn, I was wondering if you could help me with the same question as posted above. My car wont spin the tires from a dead stop for the life of it. Even when im rolling around 10-15 and mat it all I can get is a chirp from the tires. I have a feeling something is not right but I have no clue what it is. All my mods are listed in my signature. Also I do not have a fuel pump hot wire kit and I know that is holding me back but do you think it will do it that much? Thanks!

It's all in the combo and tuning. The stock elbow and 2.5" DP might be holding you back a little. Adding a "big neck" to the IC will help also. Get rid of the 237 FPR and get an adjustable one and start tuning from there. Do you have any sort of scantool? It is a must have. From there, like the other guys said you may be too rich down low with the chip, but an adj FPR may fix that. Otherwise you may want to look at another chip. Some chip guys have trouble with the 40#er's but I have heard the the MaxEffort is awesome with those. Might be an option?? HTH

Hmmmmm

C&CGN.....Ahah! I thought so. Back in 87 I bought a T-type NEW off the lot and I could have SWORN it smoked tires from a dead stop by punching it!

My WE-4 has 68K on the clock and here's what it looks like:

ATR full Exhaust with 3" Cat and 3"DP

Hypertech chip {Installed when I bought the car}

New injectors {Just over stock pressure}

New Coil Pack, Wires, Plugs, Double rollerTiming Chain/gears

160 degree Thermostat
Adj wastegate
K&N stock replacement filter
All new belts, hoses including vaacum hoses

As you can see the car is pretty stock, with the stock turbo still on it. I know that NO codes are presant, but don't have the tools to measure Fuel Pressure, or O2.

The care makes good horse but has a LOT of delay or lag in making it.

Does this sound like a fuel pressure issue? {I replaced fuel filter by the way}:confused:

My turbo v-6 can roast the tires on demand.

I never really experience turbo lag.

I can roast them off the line, and I can roast them at rolling 35 mph!

I just can't find 10/100ths reduction in NOX to pass RI emissions!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Stock injectors, K&N 9" conical air filter, high output Poston in-tank fuel pump, adjustable fp regulator (42psi), Poston Headers, Poston downpipe, Poston exhaust, underdrive pulleys, recent valve job

My car is the same way ever since I put the PT51 turbo on it. With the stock turbo, it would roast the tires from a dead stop. I put 3 different torque converters in it - nothing.

Then the #5 rod bearing went. Pulled the turbo off. The puck was never sealing on the wastegate hole. Go figure.

I'm hoping once I get the engine back - with new valves and some porting and polishing work, and with the puck-alignment thing fixed - it should roast 'em from a dead stop.

Regardless, though, if I wound the turbo up against the brake even a little, it would sit and spin for as long as I wanted. It would've been nice to just stab it and have the same effect, tho.

We'll see what happens once I get my motor back.....

Jim

Ditch the chip.

Take a look in the chip section and email someone like Jay Carter.

He can hook you up with proper fueling. :)

Originally posted by Cakes
My car wont spin the tires from a dead stop for the life of it. Even when im rolling around 10-15 and mat it all I can get is a chirp from the tires. I have a feeling something is not right

Er, a GN that has problems spinning the tires? And you have an upgraded turbo? Yeah something is wrong.

Yes you need a fuel pump hotwire kit, but that wouldn't stop you from spinning your tires.

So what do I need to check next. I have the whole day free tomorrow and plenty of time to check things out. Thanks!

Re: Hmmmmm

Originally posted by speedy1320
C&CGN.....Ahah! I thought so. Back in 87 I bought a T-type NEW off the lot and I could have SWORN it smoked tires from a dead stop by punching it!

My WE-4 has 68K on the clock and here's what it looks like:

ATR full Exhaust with 3" Cat and 3"DP

Hypertech chip {Installed when I bought the car}

New injectors {Just over stock pressure}

New Coil Pack, Wires, Plugs, Double rollerTiming Chain/gears

160 degree Thermostat
Adj wastegate
K&N stock replacement filter
All new belts, hoses including vaacum hoses

As you can see the car is pretty stock, with the stock turbo still on it. I know that NO codes are presant, but don't have the tools to measure Fuel Pressure, or O2.

The care makes good horse but has a LOT of delay or lag in making it.

Does this sound like a fuel pressure issue? {I replaced fuel filter by the way}:confused:

If you do all the basics, it should feel like a different car. Fuel pump, hotwire, adj reg, good chip, cold air kit and a scantool etc. Those things must be done in order to get any better performance out of the car.

Ok, tomorrow I am ordering a Hot-wire kit, adj. fuel pressure reg. and we shall see if that helps. I also have a bigger IC on order and an ATR 14" cold air kit on order....that should help things a bit as well !
:D

Please "chime" in and give me any other suggestions to help LOW end on my car! Thanx:D :D

I'm not an expert by any means, and I don't know what the experts think of this, but the underdrive pulleys from Poston perked mine up a whole bunch off the line.

It snaps now!