You can type here any text you want

Oil Analysis

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CzyKats44

This is the way.
Please read below and look at the attached image (oil analysis findings).
I'm open to any info you willing to share about these findings. Thanks in advance.

This is an excerpt of info I sent to the Lab with the sample:

<<<
1984 Buick Grand National
3.8l SFI Turbocharged (LM9 non-intercooled)
Engine had 73,219 @ time of sample

Oil sample was 10w30 conventional ran for 1,500 miles.

The vehicle sat for an unknown amount of time prior to getting it running (estimate 4 years).

Original oil was drained immediately, 5 quarts of 10w30 was added and ran at idle for a total of 2 hours with 4 oz of Seafoam then drained.

The sample oil was then added with filter and ran for 1,500 miles (with 91 octane non-ethanol fuel).

Shortly after the sample was taken the radiator was changed and found to be at least 50% blocked so engine temps were elevated for 1,500 miles.
>>>

Attachments

• 20150919_212344.jpg
    20150919_212344.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 130
Not an expert, however, by what I am able to read, I would recommend changing the oil and running it. If you believe there might be a problem w/the wear and tear, send back another oil sample for evaluation at the end of the additional 1500 miles. That is the only way you will know if the wear is actually becoming elevated due to a potential problem or sediment from sitting for so long.
This may be one of those times when an old adage may apply. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"! lol

Not sure what your concern is, or what you expect to find helpful in the chemical make-up in the oil, as visible metal particles would be of a much greater concern?

Maybe it is interesting to know the oil chemistry, but flakes or small particles would be visible if internal issues were the case.

A large, flat drain pan will easily show metal particles if any are present and you can also open up the oil filter to examine it for any particles.

Sorry if I am missing something here about what you are wanting to determine?

If I was going to have samples checked, I would mix a sample from all 5 quarts together for a baseline. Add it to the car run till warm, take a sample. Then take a sample every 1000 miles to 5000 miles. Change oil and do the same process if I was still concerned. A single sample with such a small increase over the average in the concerned elements can't really tell you anything, and you do not know the starting point. You will likely get some small increase in the elements mentioned every time, and you would need an expert opinion in what is an increase of concern, which I would not know. Also, since Al, Cr, Fe are naturally occurring in oil, you have to know the starting point. I would be more concerned with what Nick points out.

Not sure what your concern is, or what you expect to find helpful in the chemical make-up in the oil, as visible metal particles would be of a much greater concern?

Maybe it is interesting to know the oil chemistry, but flakes or small particles would be visible if internal issues were the case.

A large, flat drain pan will easily show metal particles if any are present and you can also open up the oil filter to examine it for any particles.

Sorry if I am missing something here about what you are wanting to determine?

Just a second set of eyes Nick. A flag that only a TB engine guy would catch (if there is one, which doesn't seem to be the case) ... while it was still draining ran a few oz. through a coffee filter after the sample was taken too and nothing was visible under a light and magnifying glass.

I'm pleased with the results and current engine performance but just wanted run the analysis through the knowledge on this site.

Thanks for the reply.

If I was going to have samples checked, I would mix a sample from all 5 quarts together for a baseline. Add it to the car run till warm, take a sample. Then take a sample every 1000 miles to 5000 miles. Change oil and do the same process if I was still concerned. A single sample with such a small increase over the average in the concerned elements can't really tell you anything, and you do not know the starting point. You will likely get some small increase in the elements mentioned every time, and you would need an expert opinion in what is an increase of concern, which I would not know. Also, since Al, Cr, Fe are naturally occurring in oil, you have to know the starting point. I would be more concerned with what Nick points out.

Thanks Nigel, I definitely understand the need for a control in this case. On this single sample nothing was alarming to me to my basic understanding ... pcv is working well as well as head gaskets not seeping any antifreeze. As far as specific wear I'm no expert on what these engines are made of.

Just a request for knowledgeable guys to possibly flag a looming issue early on. Which appears is not the case at this point.

Thanks for the input!

I'm not an expert but looks fine to me. Last time a sent an oil sample to BS they said high alum iron etc...freshened the engine for another reason and discovered everything was perfect. Your potassium level looks great...run it.

Back