You can type here any text you want

oil capacity ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mytta49

Dumb question, but the manual and dipstick say 5 quart capacity, but doesnt say if its with the filter or not.
Mine takes almost 6 quarts with the filter, just wondering when they say 5 quart capacity, were they talking with or without the filter ? I dont want to be overfilling it if its meant to be 5 quarts totally.
I know, its dumb, but asking anyway.
Thanks

I put 5 quarts and its not full either yet I've never had a problem. The oil filter is huge. My dads T is the same way.

Jason

My concern is if I am adding more than 5 quarts, am I overfilling it ? I use a Napa 1086 which is a small filter and still have to add about 3/4 of a quart over the 5 quarts to get the reading on the dip stick to the full mark.
Point is, should I just add a total of 5 quarts including the Napa filter ? Is anyone else using a Napa 1086 and adding more than a total of 5 quarts ?
Thanks

I usually add 5 quarts and it won't quite be enough so I normally end up adding another 1/2-3/4 of a quart to get it to a good spot on the stick. Go by the dip stick rather than the suggestion in the manual because the dip stick will show the level in which it needs to be for good pickup by the oil pickup in the pan. I'd trust that way before any manual or anything.

Funny this thread came up - I just changed my oil for the first time in my TTA and put in 5 quarts (have the huge AC filter). The dipstick showed a quart low. I added another quart (total of 6) and it's right at the full mark.

Oddly enough, the dipstick itself says "capacity 5 quarts" on it.

Back