You can type here any text you want

Oil Catch Can / Pre-Install Questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I was planning to try the RJC PCV by itself first, and put it inline with the stock PCV if I have problems. I have read alot of threads on here with people that are having problems with there BLMs being too high from only using the RJC PCV without the stock PCV. According to what I have read is that RJC PCV leaks and it is not metered. The stock PCV is metered.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/rjc-pcv-valve.384445/

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

IF this is true it should be labeled rjc check valve and not pcv if it does not meter air being that is the function of a pcv valve

There are a lot of people that have had issues so I am just being prepared. I am waiting for some additional parts to be delivered before I will be able see if I need the stock pcv or not (start the car). So I will report back later next week on my results.

But I did contact RJC Racing and they told me it replaces the stock PCV also, but the "results" from a lot of other Buick owners have lead to the RJC PCV having to be used inline with the stock one. Some have had luck with it, but i have seen more that have add issues.

I forgot to post an update of my catch install. Here are some pictures. I mounted it on back of the hot turbo shield. Even then though the turbo is hot, it doesn't seem to affect the performance of the catch can. I ordered a DEI turbo blanket to help with heat, so that should in turn take a lot of heat off of the catch can bottle.

Attachments

• DSC05720.JPG
    DSC05720.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 539
  • DSC05724.JPG
    DSC05724.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 385
  • DSC05722.JPG
    DSC05722.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 367
I forgot to post an update of my catch install. Here are some pictures. I mounted it on back of the hot turbo shield. Even then though the turbo is hot, it doesn't seem to affect the performance of the catch can. I ordered a DEI turbo blanket to help with heat, so that should in turn take a lot of heat off of the catch can bottle.
What is the brand type is your oil catch can?

Okay, I notice EBay has the same as the one you installed, but now I want to ask you a question, Why didn't you get the one with the vent filter on top?

Okay, I did found out what you have is a closed loop system, but why didn't you use a breather type system?
Wouldn't a breather type system be be more logical keep pressurized air out of the can, or am I missing something?

Just putting a check valve in the line between the PCV pipe and the catch can will stop any pressurizing.

BTW, nice looking can.

Okay, I notice EBay has the same as the one you installed, but now I want to ask you a question, Why didn't you get the one with the vent filter on top?

I decided to go with this one instead of the vent filter option since I already have 2 valve cover breathers on my car. From from my findings, I found that catch cans with breathers are for those systems that don't have valve cover breathers already installed.

Okay, I did found out what you have is a closed loop system, but why didn't you use a breather type system?
Wouldn't a breather type system be be more logical keep pressurized air out of the can, or am I missing something?
Just putting a check valve in the line between the PCV pipe and the catch can will stop any pressurizing.

BTW, nice looking can.

Thanks!, I chose this can after about a month of searching. It gave me the look I wanted, was small, comes in different colors, had the dipstick feature, was very, very nicely made (was very impressed with the quality) and it wasn't expensive. I was initially going with a JLT , then finally picked the Radium one. I was getting ready to order the Radium one then I came across this one at the very last minute and Liked it even better. The hoses and extra termination fittings that I bought, brought everything up to around $150 , I believe. Its been a while)

It looks nice and made for a nice install for not a lot of $$$$ :-). I am happy with it (y)

Thanks!, I chose this can after about a month of searching. It gave me the look I wanted, was small, comes in different colors, had the dipstick feature, was very, very nicely made (was very impressed with the quality) and it wasn't expensive. I was initially going with a JLT , then finally picked the Radium one. I was getting ready to order the Radium one then I came across this one at the very last minute and Liked it even better. The hoses and extra termination fittings that I bought, brought everything up to around $150 , I believe. Its been a while)

It looks nice and made for a nice install for not a lot of $$$$ :). I am happy with it (y)
Also what size and where did you get the hose?
Thanks for the info

If I remember correctly, I used -8 hoses that I got from summit racing. They are black braided hose. I will try to find my receipt tomorrow and give a update

PCV lines should be 3/8" & -10 lines if you're venting your valve covers. I believe 5/8" heater hose will work as equivalent to -10 if you want to save a few bucks.

I am back again......after posting some pics and getting some feedback on what I did to solve my passenger side leaking valve cover breather, (which was to use some valve cover baffles to stop the leaking), I decided just to replace my current catch can with a vented one and replace my metco breather (on the passenger side) with a closed breather that has a pcv port on it. This was my previous post:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...on-for-valve-cover-breather-oil-leaks.422185/

So, I got a response that said baffles won't allow enough air flow to allow proper venting of the crankcase. I measured the cross sectional area of the baffles vs the metco breathers and they are almost identical. But in the end I winded up purchasing another catch can. So, yep "GNONYX" you were right, I should 've just purchased the version 2 in the beginning :-)

My question is......how should I route to my catch can now that it is a vented can (are there any changes) And have a closed passenger side breather with a pcv port on it?

My current routing should posted in this thread somewhere, but here it is :

Stock pcv to "in" port of catch can, then from the "out" of catch can to rjc racing pcv, then into the throttle body.

I am thinking that the valve breather line needs to be "Teed" into the pcv line, from there the line will go into the "in" port of the catch can❔ can someone help me out? ......i have asked this question before and have gotten no responses. :-(

Last edited:
I am back again......after posting some pics and getting some feedback on what I did to solve my passenger side leaking valve cover breather, (which was to use some valve cover baffles to stop the leaking), I decided just to replace my current catch can with a vented one and replace my metco breather (on the passenger side) with a closed breather that has a pcv port on it. This was my previous post:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...on-for-valve-cover-breather-oil-leaks.422185/

So, I got a response that said baffles won't allow enough air flow to allow proper venting of the crankcase. I measured the cross sectional area of the baffles vs the metco breathers and they are almost identical. But in the end I winded up purchasing another catch can. So, yep "GNONYX" you were right, I should 've just purchased the version 2 in the beginning :)

My question is......how should I route to my catch can now that it is a vented can (are there any changes) And have a closed passenger side breather with a pcv port on it?

My current routing should posted in this thread somewhere, but here it is :

Stock pcv to "in" port of catch can, then from the "out" of catch can to rjc racing pcv, then into the throttle body.

I am thinking that the valve breather line needs to be "Teed" into the pcv line, from there the line will go into the "in" port of the catch can❔ can someone help me out? ......i have asked this question before and have gotten no responses. :-(

Glad to help, now I'm hoping I picked the right numbers for the Powerball which is 500 million dollars
upload_2015-2-11_21-11-1.gif

Read this thread from board member "Pronto" who also installed a catch pan system
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/installed-an-oil-catch-can-today.392886/

I thread #32 from the link, sounds like he has both of his valve covers Teed together then into the can. He doesn't mention anything about the line from the pcv. Since I only need my passenger side valve cover to go to the catch can (instead of pass and driver sides like his post) should I just tee the my valve cover line into the pcv line , then route them to the catch can?

Back