Oil Cooler or Not?

turbojkt

Just put a GN motor in a 1971 240Z. We did not use the factory oil cooler or another one? How important is it to use one? A mechanic friend said to just run synthetic oil. Another guy who did the same swap said he would use one for sure. Should we use one?

I would think better safe than sorry... its not that big of deal to mount and run an oil cooler and i think the benefit from cooling your oil dramaticaly [especially on a turbocharged vehicle] outweighs any small inconvenience of the install.... this is even more important if your car is a daily driver. You will get increased life of your oil and better oil pressure from cooler oil. Just my opinion though. ;)

Royal-T-Ltd said:
I would think better safe than sorry... its not that big of deal to mount and run an oil cooler and i think the benefit from cooling your oil dramaticaly [especially on a turbocharged vehicle] outweighs any small inconvenience of the install.... this is even more important if your car is a daily driver. You will get increased life of your oil and better oil pressure from cooler oil. Just my opinion though. ;)
If you've got room for it I would definately put one on it. I had planned on eventually putting one on, but my oil pressure is good and temps are fine. I do still plan on doing it though, someday.

I've run without one for about 5 years now. What I've noticed lately is after a hard run (way more the just a 1/4 mile), and from then on, the oil pressure drops a few PSI, until the next oil change. So next up, is getting an Earl's oil cooler, and themostat.