You can type here any text you want

Oil feed and return AN fittings

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
I am changing all my lines and fittings over to AN and need to know what size is the fitting for the oil feed in the brass block at the engine or a specific fitting that will convert it over to a -4 AN. Also need to know the same for the oil return line at the engine, thanks.

Ok looks like the drain at the engine is 1/2'' NPT, just need to know the fitting at the brass block for the feed now.

The fitting at the oil block is an inverted flare. You may have to take the block off, drill and tap for a 1/8"NPT thread, and then use the -4 to 1/8 AN fitting.

The fitting at the oil block is an inverted flare. You may have to take the block off, drill and tap for a 1/8"NPT thread, and then use the -4 to 1/8 AN fitting.

Although that is the best way (and how I would do it), it is not the "only" way. if you were tap impaired, you can add an inverted to an AN adapter.
I have a turbo saver/ remote oil filter that has a #6an line coming from it.

I have a friend that builds, duplicates and makes hoses of all kind and he just made a short 90 degree SS line with an inverted flare and fitting to fit into the brass oil block. About 2" up from the bend he welded a male -6 fitting for the flex line going to the turbo oil supply fitting that is now also -6 to pipe.

The comp turbo I have just like precisions Ball bearing turbos use a restrictor so I don't think you actually need a -6 unless you r tuning a journal bearing . And I have a -10 return which is the smallest you should go FYI . Of course this is just my opinion and I'm sure there is plenty of things that go into your size choice .

You can use a inverted flare adapter to a 1/4" NPT, from there you can get a -6, the port on the top of the turbo is a 1/4" NPT
What I did was put in a 8" brake line, they use double flare inverted ends, I then added an adapter to a regular pipe thread and from there went to a SS -4 line. When my motor comes out next summer I will replace that with a one piece SS hose.
If you go to a hydraulic shop or fitting shop they can also make you a SS line that has a 90 deg elbow inverted to 1/4" NPT, that way you can avoid using adapters.

Maybe im overthinking this, the inverted flare is on the tube ( which i will not be using anymore ) so what is the actual thread pitch of that fitting ? If I have the correct size fitting it should not leak past the threads weather it is a inverted fitting or not correct ?

If I have the correct size fitting it should not leak past the threads weather it is a inverted fitting or not correct ?

If your "correct fitting" is a inverted flare, then yes.
If it's a npt thread, then no. The inverted flare is a straight thread, and a npt screwed into it, will leak.

The inverted flare nut is a 7/16-24, and yes if you don't load it up with sealant it is going to leak. You can buy adapters that are made of brass to thread into the block and leave you with a 1/4" NPT but there is not much space to work with. If you do a search on Weatherhead fittings you will find lots of different configurations. Look up a WH-1554, this will allow you to attach a -6 SS hose

Maybe i will just change to a block that has 1/4'' threads or try to drill and tap this one. I will check into those fittings also

Thanks for the replies

That will do the trick, before you order it though double check the inverted thread size, 7/16-24 is for a 1/4" and 1/2-20 is for a 5/16" line, I can't remember what size I installed last year

Back