You can type here any text you want

Oil Filter for the TTA - K&N - Pur One - Delco?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

phillyturbosix

Staff member
Well I put a AC delco on but it seems their quality has gone down the crapper! I like to keep AC delco on the car for that original look but it's got to go. To much priming the car after it sits for my liking! I hear K&N makes a good filter. Anyone have the part number for it? Or the Pur One is good to from what I hear. Anyone have the part number for that? I'll have to take a trip to Pep Boys!

FWIW & IMHO:
Can't really say that I've had any real experience with TTA's, as you know, Jim, but every time that I have seen a poll for the turbo Buicks, 3 filter brand names seem to consistently come out on top, or command the most respect. Baldwin, Mobil 1, & K & N. Probably the most expensive, too. Can't help you with #s, though. Seems like the quality on everything is heading downhill in a hurry these days. HTH.

I know! I think I'll try the K&N filter. I guess they will have a cross reference at the store.. these delco filters have gone to crap! :(

Originally posted by phillyturbosix
I know! I think I'll try the K&N filter. I guess they will have a cross reference at the store.. these delco filters have gone to crap! :(

I thinkt he # is 3002 but not completely sure. They have a guide there and it's listed in it.

Mobil one MI-302 filters seem to fit and work pretty well. Probably biggest filter you can fit in there.

I think they run around 11 dollars, K and N filters run a few dollars more.

Originally posted by phillyturbosix
Anyone have the part number for it? Or the Pur One is good to from what I hear. Anyone have the part number for that? I'll have to take a trip to Pep Boys!

Here are 2 part numbers for what was the best filters to use:
NAPA 1086
WIX 51086
There's another WIX number which is a shorter filter but I don't have it here. The NAPA filter is made by WIX. you can go to Russ Selerno's sight and read an oil filter study that was done by John Pearcy, here's the link to the site http://www.89tta.com/. If you really want a good filtration system Car Motor Sports sells a super strong magnet that attaches to the filter, they also have one for the tranny pan.

yes - delco dropped some of their filters a couple years ago. i used them exclusivly until then.

i switched to the napa gold series filters. i would recommend the napa or the k&n if you are going to switch.

lots of info on oil and filters @ www.bobistheoilguy.com

NAPA Gold, Carquest and Wix filters are all made by the WIX company. (I called WIX and confirmed that fact, they are the same filter with different paint).

Those filters contain elements with filtering capability for particles under 10 microns (no other manufacturer comes close that I know of, but there are some new filters out there).

Whichever filter brand you use....Blow into it and check the anti-drainback valve....If it works, its good. That will eliminate pumping the oil pressure up for each start.

If you change your oil like RAZOR recommends, you'll be changing your oil and filter when it begins to discolor anyway. Brand names are not as important as a functioning anti-drainback valves and clean oil.... :)

I use the NAPA Gold 1086 (if I remember correctly) and like it very much, shorter than the Delco 1218 so leaves more clearence for the idler arm.

go

KN route,,,,,HP3002 is part number. i bought a case so if ya want I would UPS you a couple or so. I bought them for $8.00 a piece through my fathers store.

Thanks for the posts guys! lots of good info there! It's always nice to post on something where there is a wide varity of things to pick from and hear what people are using! I do change my oil in the GN and TTA around 500 miles or so. I only put 1K or so on the GN over the year and now with 2 cars I'm sure less. But it's something you might as well use the best of the best on! Thanks again for all the posts you guys are the best!!! and TY you have mail! :cool:

Back