Oil Filter Question

ttypetom

I am interested in getting rid of the cold start rattle that my 86 TR has. Which filter is the best for eliminating this problem, as noted from other threads. I have use the PF-52 with some help and now have used a Super Tech with terrible results.

Any recommondations and cures for this?:rolleyes:

I posted this same question a while back and later confirmed the answer I received: The Fram oil filters virtually eliminate all engine rattle upon cold start.
The Fram filters may not be as good (at filtering) as some others available, but the elimination of the cold-start rattle' is enough reason for me to use 'em. I try to change the oil & filter every 2k or less when possible.

Are you speaking from experience with the fram filter, which filter is it (what number)?

i use the pf-52 delco filter religiously and haven't ever had a cold start problem with it...

I am currently using Fram filter PH3980 which cross-referenced with PF52. But I will be going back with PF52 because ever since I installed the Fram I have heard cold start rattles.

My car used to make a lttle noise when I bought it. I only use the PF52 and no more noise. 172,000 miles.

I went to the biggy oil filters for my cars.

I started using the Fram filters and I think I get more cold rattle than I used to, well actually I don't remember any cold rattle unless the car sat a long time which was rare.

So I am back to looking for a good biggy filter when I use up my last 2 Fram filters.

Hopefully the Baldwins B9's are good. :confused:

SalvageV6

Try Purolator filters. I got four (4) AC Delco UPF24 left and will only use Purolator after the AC Delcos are gone.
Artie

My suggestion is to try the "blow" test on any filter before you put it on the car. The anti-drainback valve shoud keep you from blowing air throught the filter. Just blow through the center hole. Air on your cheeks means the valve failed.

And yes, it may get you strange looks in the parts store or even end in a discussion with the store personnel.

I checked a lot of things when I made the "Biggie" and that valve turned out to be a major item. I don't consider Fram, knowing how they are built. The first Mobile One I tried in the store failed, more AC's failed than not. I had an AC engineer tell me it was because the seal needed to be wet with oil to work properly, but the ones that leaked also had knock. Wix, and their NAPA clones, are nice filters, but one of my first users took the time to pull his filter after the car sat and found the filter to be about 1/2 empty. He had knock.

The most consistant filters I found were the Purolators and I went with the PL20033 for the "Biggie" kits because I couldn't find a better filter for the price and I liked the idea it was the same filter used on the 455. The PureOne has gone out of stock in the larger size and when my stock is gone I will go with a standard L20033.

For the none "Biggie" folks, Lisa's 93 Regal uses the PF52 sized filters and I put the PureOne PL24011 on it. Those are still in stock. My Silver 6 87T is still all original with over 200K on Castrol GTX and Lisa has just gone over 175K. Good filters and good oil, and lots of changes.

NO STARTUP RATTLE WITH PTE TURBO SAVER. BEFORE THAT I USED A PUROLATOR L30001 OIL FILTER........IT'S HUGE.......BIGGER THAN A BIGGIE. NO RATTLE. STANDARD THREADS CROSSTHREAD ON METRIC NIPPLE WITH NO DAMAGE. USED IT FOR 30K MILES, CHANGING IT EVERY 2000 MILES BEFORE I PURCHASED THE TURBOSAVER. TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT! ;)

Canton Racing (CM filters) 25-252

Originally posted by Red Regal T
NO STARTUP RATTLE WITH PTE TURBO SAVER. BEFORE THAT I USED A PUROLATOR L30001 OIL FILTER........IT'S HUGE.......BIGGER THAN A BIGGIE. NO RATTLE. STANDARD THREADS CROSSTHREAD ON METRIC NIPPLE WITH NO DAMAGE. USED IT FOR 30K MILES, CHANGING IT EVERY 2000 MILES BEFORE I PURCHASED THE TURBOSAVER. TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT! ;)

Check out CM filters site,

They have re-usable spin on filter thats traps down to 8 microns and flows like a SOB

25-252 3" dia billet aluminum X4.25"tall 18MM 1.5 threads
$ 95.00, replacement filter element $11.25
Regards

Originally posted by Red Regal T

Hey John - what filter are you running on the Turbo saver setup?
I run wix or the Napa Gold (ask for one for a 66 pontiac) I've always had cold start rattle no matter what filter I use...before and after the TS setup as well (think it is a motor problem). Just curious