You can type here any text you want

Oil filter

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Yeah. the AC Delco PF1218 or Mobil One..

Your better off doing oil changes at 1000 miles and using cheap oil, than using expensive oil and holding off from changing it.

Also depends on driving habits.

I tried the Mobil1 filter on mine and it is a quality piece but it is too large and ran into the idler arm bracket when the engine torqued over (not much room anyways) so I was forced to use the Napa gold 1086 filter as it is smaller. Works great for me.

Ditto on what Razor said, better off changing dino oil all the time than running contaminated synthetic. If you do insist on synthetic, make sure you run the engine long enough for all the gasoline and alky (if applicable) to evaporate and change the filter one a regular basis (every 1,000 miles) and you should be fine.

Thanks for the info. Last year I ran the Napa gold filter and had no problem, however this year I might go to the track a few times and was looking for some opinions. Thanks again I will most likley run the Napa or try the Mobile 1.

eviljay, after looking at your sig I noticed your car was built right before mine (331 vs 332) so I would have to guess that you will run into the same problem with the larger filter hitting. HTH

Your idler arm can be raised and lowered. Most of the time they were installed to high and the filter will hit. You can lower the idler arm but you should check the alignment.
Steve K.

I was doing some "recreational reading" at one of those forums frequented by oils and filter experts. Their conclusion was that the Wix filter was best. It filtered smaller particles by an order of magnitude (ten times) and had great quality control.

I called the Wix factory, and they confirmed that the NAPA gold and Carquest premium filters are axactly the same filter as the WIX, just painted a different color and put in a different box.

:)

I think that the most important thing is to change oil and filter often. Not as important that its synthetic oil, or a particular filter. :cool:

Originally posted by lburou
I was doing some "recreational reading" at one of those forums frequented by oils and filter experts. Their conclusion was that the Wix filter was best. It filtered smaller particles by an order of magnitude (ten times) and had great quality control.

I called the Wix factory, and they confirmed that the NAPA gold and Carquest premium filters are axactly the same filter as the WIX, just painted a different color and put in a different box.

:)

I think that the most important thing is to change oil and filter often. Not as important that its synthetic oil, or a particular filter. :cool:

I agree completely! I guess I should have added in that Wix makes the above stated filters. In my area, Wix is just easier to come by, maybe not so in other areas.

Originally posted by lburou

I mostly agree with that, but feel that a high quality filter is a must. Either way, synthetic is overrated if it is contaminated with gas or alky.

If your oil filter hits the steering linkage ---- look at the way the oil cooler is "indexed" (clock orientation). mine hit, and the reason was the oil cooler was not installed to "print". Check it out. There have been a lot of threads about this, but no-one has really looked in to it. This was the problem with mine and a 3 minute adjustment fixed the problem.......
I use a NAPA 1086 filter , which has the lowest micron passage of ANY commercially available filter. Turbota #70

I believe the Mobil 1 synthetic filter wins that lowest micron race..

But its 11 bucks a filter.

Back