Oil Leaks

Peter

My 78 motor has valve cover oil leaks. :( My questions are: Can the passenger side cover be removed without removing the turbo and pipes ? Can the driver side be removed without removing the the carb. and plenum ? It all looks pretty tight to me ! Should I use any of the new "high tech" cover gaskets or stay with the regular cork ? This is a road car. Any hints or tips are welcome.

I pulled the complete turbo/plenum assembly together to change mine. One the passenger side, the elbow prevents you from removing the valve cover and the valve cover prevents from removing the elbow. Even with the turbo off, it has hard getting the cover off and on with the downpipe in the way. I don't think you'll get the driver's side off without removing the turbo/plenum.

I went with Fel-pro gaskets. They still leaked a little. :( The stamped steel covers warp easily. I might try some aluminum covers next time (off an 84/87 TR), but they will require some modifications.

Also, get the Fel-pro turbo installation gasket kit.

Hello;

These covers leak even when the engine is off. :)

But really replace the gaskets and only hand tighten with a nut driver. This really work's , Too tight and the sheet metal on the valve cover warp's causeing a uneven seating prssure and a leak.