You can type here any text you want

Oil Pan Gasket Cork or Rubber Felpro

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SS502

Out with the good, In with the Bad!
Which is best? I know alot have used Kirbans thick cork gasket, but felpro sells a rubber one #OS30521R... just wondered if any have tried a felpro or is the Kirban the way to go? :rolleyes:

I have had terrible luck with the rubber one... Lots of guys have. I would go thick cork!

I went with the cometic pan gasket and its leak free even after a couple of nights at the track. It is a very thick and stiff fiber material.

Mike

gasket

I've used all three of the above mentioned rubber is ok if you do not over tighten. cork and cosmetic are both better,but cost more I can never leave mine on long enough to get the benefit of using the better gasket it seems the the high heat of the turbo motor dries out the cork a little you might have to tighten the bolts again when it starts leaking.lol

Haven't had any problems with torque myself. Snug up the bolts (not overtight), then snug then up fifteen minutes later, then repeat it again 30 minutes or so later. Nick Micale taught me this.

I've replaced 3 rubber ones, so I finally went with a Cometic and haven't had issues since!

Best deal on cork or cometic.. seen on ebay, but would rather support this board. Links would be appreciated.

We sell a lot of the cork ones buy them direct from Kenny Duttweiler...I assume Kenny uses them and he is our supplier. Just like the bigger intercooler necks...

Must be a reason they use cork....

I think we all agree the Buick engine leaks enough without having to worry about getting a good seal on the oil pan...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

pan gasket

The Right Stuff, no gasket and zero leaks. I torqued the pan down without worrying about blowing a gasket and have had no leaks for months. I'm sure if I knew how to properly torque the bolts with the cork gasket, I would have no leaks either.

I believe I have a rubber one and it is leaking after about 30 miles or so on the car. This sucks because I basically stripped the front end, controls, steering gear box and everything esle you can think of and clean painted it chassis coat black. Now after all that cleaning I have oil leaking. It seems to pool and drip from the plastic bracket that holds the coragated tubing that covers the wire to alternator. Bummer.

i had the rubber one and it was pushing out inbetween the bolts,this time i used Permatex Ultra grey and no leaks at all.

Grrr :mad: I just put the blue rubber (FelPro) on mine because I couldn't find a cork locally. I torqued mine and the gasket isn't pushing out, so I hope it doesn't leak...

I can't seem to understand how so many of you guys have issues with a rubber oil pan gasket leaking.

The trick is to make sure the pan and pan rail is super clean with no trace of oil on it at all. The dimples in the oil pan is there to keep from over tightening and buxting the gasket. It also helps provide support to keep the gasket from pushing out. I also damb a tiny amout is silicone on the timing cover to block joints and the rear main cap joints and i have had no problems with leaks. Just be careful not to over tighten the three bolts under the timing over as those have no dimples to support the pan or the gasket.

The gasket i used is the blue rubber felpro one.

HTH

I can't seem to understand how so many of you guys have issues with a rubber oil pan gasket leaking.

The trick is to make sure the pan and pan rail is super clean with no trace of oil on it at all. The dimples in the oil pan is there to keep from over tightening and buxting the gasket. It also helps provide support to keep the gasket from pushing out. I also damb a tiny amout is silicone on the timing cover to block joints and the rear main cap joints and i have had no problems with leaks. Just be careful not to over tighten the three bolts under the timing over as those have no dimples to support the pan or the gasket.

The gasket i used is the blue rubber felpro one.

HTH

I installed mine that way,and i used brake clean to make sure there wasnt any oil on it,not that there was i just pulled it from the hot tank.It lasted about 3,000 miles and was pushing out in between every bolt hole.I didnt understand how because of the nibs on the pan, but it looked like it was streching the holes in the gasket.

Back