oil pan gasket

j13smiley

lets say i have a leak around the oil pan... doesn't look like i can just drop the pan.

how much work is going to be required to change the oil pan gasket?

Done it a few times. The answer depends on what you consider trouble. You have to jack up the motor a few inches to get the room to get it out. Remove the bolts, one on each side, holding the motor mounts to the ears on the block. Jack up the motor with a cherry picker or a floor jack under the oil pan (stuff some plywood in there to distribute the load). Jam a chunk of 2x4 between the mounts and the block then set it back down. You have to fiddle with the pan to get it out and in but once you figure out the angle it is not that bad. A little more of a spacer will hold it higher and make it easier. Don't forget as you raise it the coil moves toward the firewall as well as anything attached to the front of the motor (IC, for example) moves up toward the radiator.

A few hints, been fighting with mine. I still have a small leak. Of all places it is right over the crossover. Just can't win.

1) Use a cork pan gasket. Get it from one of the vendors, Rol makes one, as does Cortico (I think it is).

2) Once the pan is out and cleaned up test fit it so that you know how to manuver it back in before you get a gasket on there with damp sealer.

3) Clean out all the bolt holes. I used Carb cleaner. Jam the straw up in the hole, wrap a rag around it then spray away. This will get out any junk that could leach out and spoil the seal.

4) Clean and reclean the pan and block rails to promote a good seal. Mineral spirits, carb cleaner, Wild Turkey....

5) Use a good quality silicone sealer.

6) Evenly tighten the bolts around the pan down to ther correct spec. I walked them down going around the pan every other bolt. Snug, 1/2 of spec, spec, then I added a hair and went around again.

7) When ever I use a silicone sealer, if I can, I like to let it set overnight to cure before I add oil (or whatever goes in the cavity of question).

Good luck.

brent

thanks!!! will i have to disconnect anything up top on the engine before i jack it up? or will everything be ok as-is for the couple inches i'll have to raise it?

Nope, should not have to remove anything. I have had the pan off once, the first time I did it, where I took the coil off to be safe. I was taking the trans out as well so I knew I was going to be rocking the block back quite a bit to get room to remove the bellhousing bolts. You may want to eyeball the coil and the firewall. I have plenty of room in my car but yours may be a tad different. Ohh, I do have a solid MAF pipe so I do remove that. Otherwise, I have left everyting else as it was.

Brent

You need to remove the EGR selinoid and bracket or it will hit your windshield wiper motor.