You can type here any text you want

Oil pan gasket

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wicked WE4

How hard is to change the oil pan gasket with engine still in the car? I know it will have to be lifted off the motor mounts, but is there somethings to watch out for? Also is there a brand or type of gasket better than others, the previous owner replaced the rear main seal and pan gasket not very long before he sold it and the oil pan gasket is already leaking.

You would have to watch out for the oil pickup and the baffle in the oil pan. You will have to remove the inspection cover for the torque converter and crossover pipe. The best way is to remove the two bolts that hold the motor mounts to the frame and jack up the front of the engine. I use cork gaskets that Kenny Duttweiler sells. Might want to use gasket cinch ( contact adhesive) and attach the gasket to the block. I am sure I am forgetting something but I think that covers the major points. Also clean the pickup screen and the inside of the oil pan before reassembly.
Good Luck,
Jeff

Normally you can remove the oil pan without lifting the engine. The only time you need to lift the engine is if the motor mounts are bad; otherwise, you can remove the crossover pipe and push the pan back as far as possible and then down. It needs to go back in order to get the baffle past the pickup tube.

Thanks guys. I thought it looked possible to pull the pan without raising the engine. I will give it a try first.:smile:

The crank has to be in a certain position for the pan to come out. Just jack up the motor and put a small piece of 2x4 under the mounts. The extra 1.5" of clearance will be appreciated! The cork gasket is the best. Use thread to tie the gasket to the pan in 4 or 5 spots.

Exrta thick cork from RJC, Spray tack it to the pan & let dry. Add some dental floss here & there to the holes & once started cut the floss off. Save it to do you teeth later so there is no waste! LOL!
Remember if you remove the oil pump pickup to Locktite it back in! You can do it with the pan hanging down & box end wrench quite easily if need be?

Is there one oil pan bolt shorter than the rest and if so where is it supposed to go? I know that the front three are smaller bolts, the one in question is the same size as all the rest but half as long, I did not see which hole it came from when I removed the pan.

Back