You can type here any text you want

Oil pan gasket

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

faster

Engine is running fantastic, 2K miles since the rebuild.

But now it is leaking a steady stream of oil out of what seems like the oil pan gasket behind the starter. Can't really tell because it is putting out so much oil.

Only leaks profusely when idling.

No oil or wet block above the starter or on the heads, it has to the the pan gasket.

I used one of those rubber gaskets and it appears still in place and the pan bolts were all tight.

I've never in 40 years seen an oil pan gasket leak like a faucet.

Anyone ever have a pan gasket fail like this?

Mikey

Be sure the it's not running back from the oil pump,down from the valve cover,or that the rear main isn't slinging it that way. If these all check out replace that POS rubber gasket with a cork one.

If you can't find a good gasket, use this instead.

I just removed a cork gasket that i replaced about 4 years ago that was leaking on my daily driver, it had been leaking for some time. I removed the valve cover and cleaned it real good and cleaned the engine head surface as well and applied this ultra black rtv and let it sit for 24 hours to fully cure.

It's been 2 weeks now since doing this and no leaks at all.

I didn't get the cartridge, i got the cheese wiz type can, they have but they don't show it here on the site.

AutoZone.com | RTVAdhesive | 13oz.(369g.)cartridgeUltraBlackmaximumoilresistanceRTVsiliconegasketmaker

Be sure the it's not running back from the oil pump,down from the valve cover,or that the rear main isn't slinging it that way. If these all check out replace that POS rubber gasket with a cork one.

Everything is dry above and pulled the converter cover dry in there too.
I've just never seen an oil pan gasket leak this profusely.

We sell cork gaskets that work well when installed properly. Might be worth considering.

ROL OS5755 Buick V6 Cork Oil Pan Gasket Set

I'll be in touch.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Mikey

Been watching this since I've got a build in progress. I had a perma-dry gasket installed after fixing a rear main leak about 7 years ago. The only problem I had with it leaking was fixed by snugging up the bolts a little.

Anyway I've ordered both cork and perma-dry.

Brake clean everything real good and you can pin point the leak.

I have seen the front of the intake leak oil go down to pan rail run back along it and drip around the starter on the crossover.

If it is leaking profusely then the oil is coming out somewhere under pressure. You need to find the leak and nothing near or by the pan gasket is under pressure.

I would hose down the entire engine clean. Start tracking it that way. If not there are kits for dye and ultrviolete light to help you identify the leak.

If it is leaking profusely then the oil is coming out somewhere under pressure. You need to find the leak and nothing near or by the pan gasket is under pressure.

I would hose down the entire engine clean. Start tracking it that way. If not there are kits for dye and ultrviolete light to help you identify the leak.

X2 it has to be coming out under pressure oil pan gasket will not be doing that could possibly be a oil passage thats missing a plug???

Back