You can type here any text you want

OIL PREASURE GOES FROM 50 psi TO 12 PSI?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GP Black Pearl

Installed new oil pump gasket. (Blew old one) My pressure was 70 psi on old gasket. Now with new gasket 50 psi cold and drops to 12 psi at 170* Has new AC Delco filter.:confused: THANK'S for your help as always. Pump has 32 miles on it.

Ed

Did you check the end clearance of the pump gears with the new gasket compared to the old one? If the new gasket is thicker creating a larger end gap it will kill your oil pressure.

Set oil pump thrust clearance between .0005" and .0015" The tighter the better. I have even lapped the face of the gears in place. I usually have to machine the timing cover flat, too. The cover face is not parallel to the gear face. (especially on the aftermarket timing covers.:mad: ) If the timing cover is still installed on the car, just use a thinner gasket. The TA set-up shims are worth the money. You can use plati-gauge to measure the thrust clearance if you don't have precision measuring tools. You want it tight, but not rubbing. It's not a five minute job to properly set-up a timing cover/oil pump. I have spent 4 hours just setting up an aftermarket timing cover. Those things are machined with an AXE!,:eek: and cast with a very poor mold.

Set oil pump thrust clearance between .0005" and .0015" The tighter the better. I have even lapped the face of the gears in place. I usually have to machine the timing cover flat, too. The cover face is not parallel to the gear face. (especially on the aftermarket timing covers.:mad: ) If the timing cover is still installed on the car, just use a thinner gasket. The TA set-up shims are worth the money. You can use plati-gauge to measure the thrust clearance if you don't have precision measuring tools. You want it tight, but not rubbing. It's not a five minute job to properly set-up a timing cover/oil pump. I have spent 4 hours just setting up an aftermarket timing cover. Those things are machined with an AXE!,:eek: and cast with a very poor mold.

yeah.... I was to lazy to do mine and got one done by you . Best oil pressure I've ever had out of a engine . :)

Took me that long at least to port, clean passages, set the gears etc. but I have great pressure & it responds directly with the throttle! No climbing to this or that slowly, give it gas & it hits 60 everytime!! Well worth spending the time or having it done properly. Luckily we have Long Winters!! :)

I used the Earl Brown method & am Thankful he wrote that article!!

Back