You can type here any text you want

Oil pressure switch removal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickin87

Hi,

could you please tell, what is a right socket size/type to remove the oil pressure switch from GN 87 engine? Long 6-point or 12 point socket or does this job demand a special socket?

I tried to loosen it with big adjustable wrench, but I felt that it started to slip over the corners and the switch is quite tight. It seems, that there is not so much room for other tools than socket.

Thanks in advance!

I took mine off yesterday. If you go to pepboys or local napa, there is a special socket called : Oil Pressure Socket for GM/Chrysler

They had two of them, I reccommend the longer one as that switch is hard to get at! Hardest part is screwing it back in :D

Thank you for your reply! I live in Finland and we haven´t here Pepboys or NAPA, but I will ask it in local tool store. How about an ordinary 27 mm or 1- 1/16 inch 6-point long socket, does it work?

Regards,

Buickin87

buickin87 said:
Thank you for your reply! I live in Finland and we haven´t here Pepboys or NAPA, but I will ask it in local tool store. How about an ordinary 27 mm or 1- 1/16 inch 6-point long socket, does it work?

Regards,

Buickin87

Absolutely! I used a socket I had and it came out fine. Unfortunately,I can't remember the exact socket size, but it might have been the 27 mm like you mentioned.

Oil Pressure Removal

If you can't get it out let me know I have a socket that I can lend you so that you can get the switch out or if you want to buy one I'll buy here and ship it there.

Roger

buickin87 said:
Hi,

could you please tell, what is a right socket size/type to remove the oil pressure switch from GN 87 engine? Long 6-point or 12 point socket or does this job demand a special socket?

A 12 point 26mm fits perfectly. A 27mm may also do the job with a little slop...dunno for certain about the 27 though. You'll need a deep socket.

Hi,

thanks all for your help!

I found six- point 27 mm long socket in the hardware store and it worked quite well with a little slop and so the switch came out.
Also the local speedshop had an special socket for the purpose(quite expensive), but maybe I can find more use for the ordinary socket.

Now the next step is to find a suitable t- piece for the original oil pressure switch and for the sensor of oil pressure gauge so that the assembly will clear the coolant hose, the block and the other things around the area in question.

Any hints? The Autometer teeing piece, what the speed shops sell or what?

Regards,

Buickin87

home depot has it. See, I was going to do this as well, but once you tee the factory s/u in, and put the new s/u in, there isn't a lot of room to tighten the tee into the factory location. It's real tight in there, so I would only suggest doing this if you had the car on lifts and planned on pulling the lower radiator hose. I have a hotwired walbro, so I don't mind removing the factory s/u...if you want my tee pieces, I can send them to you for a couple bucks to cover shipping.

Hi, thanks for your reply and offer to ship your T- fitting assembly, but maybe the shipment from USA to Finland is too expensive. So, maybe it is better to find the suitable parts here according to your good advices.

I tried to measure yesterday what kind of T-fittig/adapters I will need and noticed that the place where the original idiot light switch and the pressure gauge sensor comes is very tight. I thought that the angle between the ports should be 90 degrees, so that gauge sensor(big, the gauge is electrical!) points towards oil filter(about) and the light switch points towards O2- sensor or near to that. In addition; the distance between the ports of "T-fitting" and the original oil hole should be about 30- 40 mm. Anyway, I should have good assembly different extensions etc to get everything to fit.

Maybe I measured the things wrong. Could someone tell the right way to proceed; descriptions about the parts needed, right locations for the sensor and switch, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Back