Oil pressure too high??

Oil Pressure

At idle its ok, but whats it at 5000 rpm? General rule is 10 psi per thousand rpm

Just got back from a run and made note. Needed to bring things up to operating temperature for a much needed oil / filter change and a splash of ZDDPlus.

Keep in mind I"m not riping it yet....gonna take it easy for a couple hundred clicks due to brand new rear end and ring / pinion gears.

Anyway, here's the oil pressure (according to my VDO gauge):

70psi - cold
11-12 psi - completely warmed up at idle
1800-2,000rpm cruising on street - 40psi
2500-3000rpm on highway - 50psi

dave

looks pretty good for 50 psi at 3000 rpm, i think it should go to 60 or more at higher rpm.

Update: After spending the weekend tuning the car, pressures have changed but not alot. Pressure after many WOT hits and plenty of cruise time are at 28-30 at idle and 65-70 at cruising speeds.

I just put in some Electronic VDO Gauges, so now can see what my oil pressure reads.

Am using Mobil 1 Synthetic (10W 30) and ZDDPlus....

On cold start is reads 70psi, then when up to full temperature was 11psi at idle.

Not sure of the accuracy of the gauge / sending unit, or if its calibration may be off a little?

Is oil pressure of 11-psi , full warmed up at idle OK or is it too low?

dave

My VDO oil pressure gauge is a little off at idle. The VDO will show around 15 psi at a hot idle, but a mechanical gauge will show around 20 psi.

Update: After spending the weekend tuning the car, pressures have changed but not alot. Pressure after many WOT hits and plenty of cruise time are at 28-30 at idle and 65-70 at cruising speeds.

Didn't get around to winterizing my low milage car till yesterday. It was only 8'C and my oil pressure went up 10psi to 70 on cold start with full synthetic 10w30, imagine what dyno 20w50 would do?