You can type here any text you want

oil pressure

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87 national

HI, can some one help me i bought a 1987 grand national a few weeks ago i have been doing odds and ends to it i bought the car as a non runner which that is not the case it just needed a few things. I started it and let it run today for about 10 mins when the car warmed up my oil pressure dropped from 20 to about 3 and every time i try to start it this happens.(unless cold) can some one tell me what to do i have a remote oil filter and a turbonetics turbocharger 66 on it. i just did a fresh oil change of 10w-30 on it.

First, welcome to the site.
The condition of your engine is unknown and leaves you with several things to check/verify. The oil filter that you just changed would be good to open up with tin snips and look for bearing material. If it is there, you will need to rebuild. Also, the condition of your oil pump and the clearances may be the source of your low pressure. That is much easier to access and inspect. There are several posts on how to verify your oil pump clearances. You should have a rise in oil pressure as the rpm increases.

Thanks I took the oil pan off to do a gasket and ther was aluminum shavings in the pan from the front on timing cover. I wanna know when I do the oil pump and timing cover should I pull the grate and tube that takes the oil from the pan.

Thanks I took the oil pan off to do a gasket and ther was aluminum shavings in the pan from the front on timing cover. I wanna know when I do the oil pump and timing cover should I pull the grate and tube that takes the oil from the pan.

if there was metal in the pan you could get lucky by just rebuilding the front cover. just do a search for "timing cover" or "front cover" and you should find tons of threads on how to set up the pump and the clearances.

and yes, pull the pickup tube off and either clean it really good or just buy a new one. i think they're less than $20.

Back